Kick Start Issue!

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Martin20
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 150 Special

Evening all!

Went to start my S3 LIS this morning, kicked it, and kick start did not return!

Not taken chaincase side off yet, but, is it likely to be anything other than a broken kick start spring? If it is the spring, is it a fairly easy fix i.e.broken one out, new one in?

Any help/advice appreciated.
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

Could be guide pin in the piston jammed or the adjuster plate come loose and locked it up but also the spring which is easy to change you will want a series 3 spring which has 3 rings as a series 2 spring has 4 rings

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Martin20

Thanks Gary. Just been watching a YouTube video which shows spring has to be "pre-loaded"! Hoping it is as simple to do as guy makes it look LOL!
johnny650
Main scooter: lambretta 64 li 150 Special

yes it is straightforward Martin with the aid of that video , I just did mine last week. Unfortunately my new kickstart repair kit didn't arrive in time so now my kickstart doesn't engage properly for a full stroke due to worn guide pin and piston teeth.

I would buy a new kickstart piston kit as well as a new return spring ....if you are going to remove the cover . The correct series 3 spring for ours has the kink in the end .

I wish that I had tried my kickstart before filling the crankcase with oil......... I would have saved myself some mess and grief .
The trick seems to be to have the guide pin set just on the beginning of the ramp to minimise engagement travel and maximise stroke length without leaving the piston teeth too close to the 1st gear when at rest. I had to reset mine twice to get it right.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

If your using a clubman exhaust,make sure when you kick the engine over the bumpstop on the kickstart lever isn't catching the tailpipe of the exhaust preventing the lever from returning.
Martin20

Thanks all!

Taken chaincase side off this morning, and it is the spring that is broken! One of the teeth on the piston is also a little worn, so have ordered a new piston kit as well. Will report back when re-assembled. 👍
Martin20

Put everything back together this morning, but teeth on kickstart piston are now sitting proud of kickstart shaft barrel!. Adjuster plate is fully adjusted! Is this acceptable, or should teeth sit flush with top of barrel? Took picture of old one before I dismantled, and teeth were flush, but having said that, there was about 20mm play in kickstart, before it engaged!
I know I could put it all back together to try, but wanted to save hassle if it is ok as is!
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

Your teeth should be flush if you still have the Kickstarter on it'll be st wrong take kickstart off in a vice and move it round two teeth that should pull the teeth back and replace Kickstarter and adjust plate

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Martin20

Thanks Garry. 👍
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information