Age old question

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Daggs

I know it's been asked and answered before. But, is there a consensus as to which way up the graduated coil fork springs for a Lambretta, should go?
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

I've always thought the tightly wound springs should go at the top. There is a reason for this, but I can't remember what.
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

Doom Patrol wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:33 pm I've always thought the tightly wound springs should go at the top. There is a reason for this, but I can't remember what.
It reduces unsprung mass. But it's much the same as p1551ing in the sea; it makes it deeper but.....
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

I've used them either way up.The most important thing is to have both the same way up.
Blenks
Main scooter: Lambretta S3 Li150

I recently fitted a set and took the advice from the MB website that the tight wound end goes to the top of the for leg. Although, as Paul states as long as they are both fitted the same way it will not make much difference.
hendy

Blenks wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:45 am I recently fitted a set and took the advice from the MB website that the tight wound end goes to the top of the for leg. Although, as Paul states as long as they are both fitted the same way it will not make much difference.
Even if you fit them in opposite orientations, itll make so little difference as to be unnoticeable.

Having said thay, mine are the same way with tight coils at the top. But only because it seems nicer. I'm not suggesting you do it an other way, but if you've done the job already and think they're wrong, just leave them. Really is like p1551ing in the sea.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

HxPaul wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:50 am I've used them either way up.The most important thing is to have both the same way up.
Or down. :lol:
hendy

^ :lol:

Boom boom
Daggs

It's good to see I'm not alone in being confused by these. Anyway, I have fitted them tight coils to the top because.........erm.....um....they look nice that way. :) ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information