New 185cc engine won't start or run

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
sunrisemac
Main scooter: Lambretta GP150

Have you tried a new plug as it might be failing to spark under compression ?
johnny650
Main scooter: lambretta 64 li 150 Special

sunrisemac wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:31 pm Have you tried a new plug as it might be failing to spark under compression ?
yes I have tried 4x new plugs and all of them are sparking fine .
This engine won't even fire with a spark ,compression and Easy Start !... its got me beat :roll:
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

Sheared Woodruff key ?...........have you leak tested yet ?
johnny650

mick1 wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:57 am Sheared Woodruff key ?........... ?
good suggestion but see previous post ;) quote " Removed flywheel & adjusted advance to 17 degrees (no oil leak from seal evident)"

not yet ...I'm going to tackle the leak down test today if I can coddle something together . I might try and add my vacuum smoke tester if I can .
johnny650

Muppet wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:07 pm
Adjusted the points closer to 4mm ?
yes I closed them from 0.45mm thinking it might give a stronger spark and also slightly retard the ignition point but in the end I found my lost flywheel tool and moved the stator to retard to 17 degrees from my usual 19 degrees
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

What about the condenser

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

GTFOMWSC
Main scooter: GP230 Super Monza CS Tuned

just a very off the wall maybe as i've heard this happening,the piston on the new build was put in the correct way up? i've heard that although it shouldn't run that some have actually fired up but ran like a bag of crap then wouldn't run again(which it shouldn't really off done at all) as i say a wild guess as a possible because they usually say when you've dismissed all of the possibles there's only the impossible left.
the man don't give a f@@k
johnny650

garry inglis wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:54 am What about the condenser

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

indeed garry good call ! :D

I ordered a new one last week which is yet to arrive because I do not have a single condensor that I can vouch for .

However you have reminded me of a little trick I saw on youtube that I will try tonight .

You use a double croc clip jump wire to connect the positive of a spare condensor to the green stator wire and hold the body of the spare condensor on a good ground on the frame .

It effectively puts a spare condensor in parallel with the stator condensor ;)

I tried testing the inlet manifold for suction and there isn't any that I can feel but there is a huge blow every revolution . I can see it spitting out the Easy Start as a vapour . I still haven't made up a pressure tester yet ....all my inner tubes are too narrow
Chris in Margate
Main scooter: Lambretta 1964 225 Special

Yes I hope you mean 0.4 mm.

I don't use choke with easy start.
I.don't like inline filters as most are for pumped systems and you will have trouble starting.
johnny650

Chris in Margate wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:24 am Yes I hope you mean 0.4 mm.

I don't use choke with easy start.
I.don't like inline filters as most are for pumped systems and you will have trouble starting.
Inline filters are pretty obligatory these days unless you want to be constantly stripping and cleaning your carbs every week. The built in filter of the Delly/Jetex carbs are completely useless at removing rust silt and all of out tanks have some after 50+ years .

I have never had any ptoblems getting a good flow from my fuel line using a large filter and HiFlo petcock

I wouldn't normally use choke with easy start but if you read through the thread you'll see that my engine has been suffering with lack of fuel to the combustion chamber yet my fuel flow to and from the carb fuel bowl is more than adequate.

I've not read anywhere yet that a blown drive side oil seal could cause this but its becoming increasingly obvious to me that that is the most likely cause of the problem so I've decided to strip the engine gearbox and replace the seals after giving it a careful inspection. Its probably just an oil seal spring blown off by the excessive compression of the 200cc engine that was fitted initially.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information