Stopping panels falling off

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Warrick
Main scooter: Lambretta Avanti

Doom Patrol wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:43 pm Are the panels straight and fit nicely all along the loop?
Nope they are not great, they are a pig to fit
Warrick

Toddy wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:10 am What sort of Clips are you using some Cheap reproductios loose their tension very quickly
Think I got the from the scooter surgery at the big 7 about 5 years ago after my panel fell off on the ride out, it’s not a new think but it’s now been sprayed:-(
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Warrick wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:42 pm
Doom Patrol wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:43 pm Are the panels straight and fit nicely all along the loop?
That could be half your problem. If the panels aren't flat they'll be sprung when you force them into place.
Warrick

Doom Patrol wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:45 pm
That could be half your problem. If the panels aren't flat they'll be sprung when you force them into place.
How would the best way to get them flattened? The problem panel is the right hand side
Minority
Main scooter: Li230 S3

What's the state of the panel buffer on the outrigger? If it's badly worn this can cause the panel to be loose.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Warrick wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:23 pm
Doom Patrol wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:45 pm

How would the best way to get them flattened? The problem panel is the right hand side
Ideally, I suppose, it should be sorted by a good panel beater at the prep stage. It's a tricky one. If it's flown off for other reasons it might have become twisted anyway. But basically a straight panel is what you want.
Warrick

Minority wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:16 am What's the state of the panel buffer on the outrigger? If it's badly worn this can cause the panel to be loose.
Not great, it’s always been the right hand side. I think the panel is twisted the clips are weak and the buffer is shot. I likes to make it 100% when I’ve got the panel redone.

It was alway very tight with the buffer it caused the paint to crack
Leo
Main scooter: Lambretta

Jumping off panels can also be attributed to the frame loop. Some of the scooter importers have a nasty habit of transporting the Lambrettas standing up on their rear number plates to get more of them in their van.

This can shorten the frame loop a bit and makes the panels fly off for fun. A scissor jack between the engine block and the reg plate area of the frame can get your frame loop back to the correct length.

There is a drawing somewhere online that shows the correct length.

A sign the frame is too short can be on a machine with panel handles is that the handles do not sit parallel to the ground.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

wrecklessrobbie
Main scooter: li150

Funnily enough...i was looking at and reading that last night Adam. I fitted my panels onto my S2 last night.
First time they have been on the scooter in about 3 if not 4 years.
One of them the front end looked like it wanted to pop out and did once.
The handles are very tight at the back and working very well.
I have fitted new panel rubbers to the frame.
I noticed MB advise fitting them into the panels in line with the rear frame badge.
Has any one put them further along the panels ?
Or even near the bottom of the panel near the Bridge piece.
The panels appear straigh. I have new leg rubber buffers fitted.
I have left them on to see if they bed in.
Am not sure fitting locks by the rear frame badge would hold them.
Hopefully that all makes sense.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information