Starting Problems

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
GTFOMWSC
Main scooter: GP230 Super Monza CS Tuned

Blenks wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:03 pm Just been reading a couple of guides on spark plugs on the net. One speaks about the difference between resistor and non-resistor type plugs and caps. It states that resistor type plugs, leads and caps are best avoided and can cause starting issues. I know I have a resistor type NGK cap and a NGK B7ES plug (don't know which this is) and not sure on the lead either. Any thoughts on whether this could be a contributor to my starting problems? I had not heard this before today. Plug, lead and cap were all new when the scooter was rebuilt.
B7ES is a hot running plug should be a B8ES as a mid plug or a B9ES if tuned and doing a long run,try changing grade of plug first as your 7 just might be the problem
the man don't give a f@@k
Blenks
Main scooter: Lambretta S3 Li150

I'll give it a go. I have got a couple of B8ES plugs. I only wish it was something as simple as that.
Chris in Margate
Main scooter: Lambretta 1964 225 Special

For easier starting fit the 7.
Fitting the 8 or 9 won't make a difference to starting; if anything it will be harder. Do NOT waste your money.
Chris in Margate
Main scooter: Lambretta 1964 225 Special

Once finally resolved if you do belt it about then fit the 8 or the 9.

My money is on the BGM stator. and/or faulty float valve.
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

mick1 wrote:Try starting with bellows removed. Sounds like fuel could be trapping and causing it to flood

This is the most likely problem.

Next time it fails to start, whip the bellows of and see if it fires up. If so, that Illustrates that you need to drill a small hole in the outside bottom corner of the rubber bellows...to allow excess fuel spitback to drain off.

This should cure your problem.
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
Blenks

I am having the problem with the bellows and filter fitted and without. I ran it the weekend with the tea strainer type cover over the bell mouth but still had the starting problem. I have not adjusted the fuelling though so it may be running too lean without a filter???

I tried to start it Wednesday evening and nothing. Removed the plug to check for a spark and no spark. Changed the cap still the same. Cut 10mm off end of HT cable and checked for a spark direct from cable and there was one. Refitted plug cap and plug and it started. (I did this outside in the light so difficult to say 100%). All this with the tea strainer type filter. Took it for a short run to get up to temperature, left it for around 30 minutes and restarted no problem.

Thursday evening tried to start it and it will not start. The most frustrating thing is that when it is running it is spot on. I am taking it to Magpie in Cov today to let Mick have a look at it and start the diagnostic process.

4 weeks to Brighton. It has to be sorted for then!!!!!!!!
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

Check your plug gap, if it’s to great you’ll have problems starting. Should be .55mm.
Blenks

Thanks Scooterdude. I did set the plug gap to .50mm.
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

Blenks wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:09 pm Thanks Scooterdude. I did set the plug gap to .50mm.
Have you tried a different plug? Basic stuff i know but basic stuff is all to easily overlooked.
Blenks

Yes I have tried a couple of different new plugs. Now fitted a B8ES.

I took to Magpie on Friday and with a quick diagnosis they thought it was something to do with the kick start or clutch. They pointed out that the flywheel was not spinning when kicked over. Something I had never noticed or even thought about looking at. They are going to give it a thorough check over but it will be a couple of weeks due to their workload.
Could have done without the added expense but if they solve the problem then I will be happy.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information