Starting Problems

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Blenks
Main scooter: Lambretta S3 Li150

Not checked for a spark when it will not start. I plan to give it a run over the weekend and try to eliminate some of the items that have been suggested. I will check the plug spark then. Thanks for the suggestion Paul
Blenks

Just tried to start the scooter but it will not start at all now. Removed the plug it was wet. Not sure if that’s normal?? I dried it and put it against the engine mount whilst kicking it over and cannot see a spark. Really annoyed with this now :x
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

Dissconect the green wire from the CDI in the loom.Just in case its earthing somewhere along its length,including the fitted ignition switch.Check the spark again.If there is no spark I'm afraid that the culprit is either the LT coil or the pick-up on the stator plate,or the CDI.
Blenks

Thanks Paul, I’ll give that a go in the morning. I just wish I could pin it down to either electrical or fueling. Really frustrating considering it never missed a beat before the rebuild. Not changed anything mechanical. I just dropped the engine and refitted but it has had all new electronics except the stator
Blenks

Managed to get it running today hooray. Replaced the spark plug but set the gap to 0.50mm this time and it fired straight up. Run to hot and it started no problem again. All done with the air filter removed. I then fitted the filter and side panel and it bogged a bit before starting 3rd kick. I have ordered an MB tea strainer type filter as I don’t want to run the risk of sucking in debris with no filter. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that this will solve the issues
operonalan
Main scooter: tv200

Do you start it at no throttle or just a fraction open ? Anything more will flood it and make it lean .......don't give it any handful of throttle from cold ..
Chris in Margate
Main scooter: Lambretta 1964 225 Special

Never open the throttle when starting because it will flood.
If you fit a tea strainer filter you may have to up your jetting.
What happened to the "no spark"?
HotPearlSnatch
Main scooter: Lambretta series 2

Hey Blenks, sounds like the filter is the culprit.

Good work and do post back. If you set the carb up to 'run' with a filter then you might wanna richen the mixture a bit as it will probably be set a little lean. That said if the thing runs and starts fine without adjusting the carb then leave well alone.

Also remember to check the plug color [after running it without a filter] to establish the mixture is where it wants to be.
Blenks

I don't or try not to open the throttle at all when starting.

I can only assume that the plug I removed was shot. It was wet when I took it out but I had been giving it a few kicks to try to start it. When I set the gap and refitted the new plug it fired first kick.

Hopefully I don't have to mess about with the jetting. I have not run it out on the road yet with the new "tea strainer" filter. Going to give it a run tonight and will report back. I will not adjust or change anything if it runs OK but as stated it may need the mixture altering. I'll take the advice and check the plug too when I get home.

Thanks again for all the tips and advice. It is very much appreciated.

Blenks
Blenks

First chance to run it was today. Started first kick did about 6 miles to a mates. Started hot no problem. Did a run of about 20 mile, stopped for a drink. Strarted 3rd kick. Did another 10 miles home left it for about 45 minutes and would not start. Removed side panel carb side and it started. Tried it again and nothing. Removed the plug and it look good. Refitted tried again to start, nothing again. Pushed it back in the shed and broke down in tears :lol: when it won’t start it is like there is no spark at all. I am thinking now that it may be the ignition switch but only because I don’t know what else to consider now. Anybody recommend a good repair shop in the West Midlands as close to Coventry as possible.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information