Retard, advance, retard add-on ignition profile?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Hi all,

I run a number of linear advance/retard profile add-on ignition modules (e.g. M-Tech & Agusto) on various motors and like what they do, however, I am building a high capacity motor and am looking to reduce the effort required to kick-start... and particularly looking to reduce the stress that the initially high advance puts through the transmission. As such, I am looking at my options for a profile more like the Varitronic profile, which starts low at low RPM, then quickly advances, then retards as per other units. This initially reduced advance for starting is key to my requirement.

Do any of the add-on modules offer such a profile or are they all linear?

I may well look towards the Varitronic (or other ignition kits that offer such a function) but was wondering whether they was such an add-on available, which may save over buying a whole kit and/or give options to chop and change in the future (the beauty of an add-on).

Cheers in advance (sorry for the poor pun!),

Adam
YAMLAM

Adam, what about the Kytronic ?
win or lose have a booze
Adam_Winstone

Not sure... ?
Adam_Winstone

rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Minority
Main scooter: Li230 S3

+1 for the Kytronic. I've had one fitted for a few years now and it's worked well.
Minority
Main scooter: Li230 S3

That was on an Indian stator and CDI, then Ducati CDI by the way.
RManson
Main scooter: Jet 200

Not sure what you're building but a thumper with decent compression is going to be a bit of a bear regardless of the ignition timing, my 300cc Rotax case in point. It takes quite a kick to light it off, but usually fires within a kick or two.

I have an MSD setup, which allows me to set the trigger at TDC and advance the timing to 14-degrees via laptop. In theory, I could set the spark under 1k rpm to 0-degrees if needed, but I haven't found that to be necessary.

I would look for a kit that allows full laptop manipulation of the timing curve and go from there. The MSD I'm using does that. Good luck!
GeorgeS
Main scooter: 1961 Series II Granturismo 240

The kheper device also does this but they don't seem to be making them anymore. You could try contacting them via the Kheper web page & see if they have plans but I haven't seen any on sale for around 18 months.
Toddy
Main scooter: Lambretta Series 1

GeorgeS wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:01 am The kheper device also does this but they don't seem to be making them anymore. You could try contacting them via the Kheper web page & see if they have plans but I haven't seen any on sale for around 18 months.

There were some available last year ;) i believe he now sells them through Amazon
As my Dad used to say "Each to their own lad"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information