Tuning 150cc

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
GazInOz
Main scooter: Lambretta SX150

Out of interest- weighing up my options.

Does anyone ever tune 150’s? Is it worth doing?
I have a SX150, top speed is respectable (eventually) but could be much better on acceleration also uphills...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

If you go on scootering magazine website and read the tuneing featur that Darrell Taylor did and you can see your options

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

GazInOz

garry inglis wrote:If you go on scootering magazine website and read the tuneing featur that Darrell Taylor did and you can see your options

Ok will do mate, thanks.

holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

Tuning a 150 has many options, you could tune the cylinder you already have if your on a tight budget or go bigger if you have enough money a 175 cast iron cylinder can make good power with an expansion a bit of porting and a big carb, I’m just putting a cast 200 barrel on a 125 case, it means turning the spigot down and making the stud holes bigger, not exactly fit and run, or look out for a sukuki 190 kit on eBay , there was one for sale a week or 2 ago, they do give very good performance, don’t be tempted to buy an Indian alloy kit, they are junk, you could also consider the slightly more expensive option of a small block kit, mugello pr gt186 to name a couple really depends on what sort of performance you want, if you want screaming performance than rb20 might be an option many factors to consider, plus if power is increased you might want to lower the gearing to get a higher speed, you will have to upgrade other parts as well , a stronger clutch for one some upgrades will demand a change of crank plus bearings etc , where do you stop, depends what your looking for ?
GazInOz

GazInOz wrote:
garry inglis wrote:If you go on scootering magazine website and read the tuneing featur that Darrell Taylor did and you can see your options

Ok will do mate, thanks.

Garry, were you talking about the “bang for buck” article?
That talks specifically about tuning/upgrading a GP200 engine. I asking about tuning a 150- what options/is it worth it?
Cheers

GazInOz

holty wrote:Tuning a 150 has many options, you could tune the cylinder you already have if your on a tight budget or go bigger if you have enough money a 175 cast iron cylinder can make good power with an expansion a bit of porting and a big carb, I’m just putting a cast 200 barrel on a 125 case, it means turning the spigot down and making the stud holes bigger, not exactly fit and run, or look out for a sukuki 190 kit on eBay , there was one for sale a week or 2 ago, they do give very good performance, don’t be tempted to buy an Indian alloy kit, they are junk, you could also consider the slightly more expensive option of a small block kit, mugello pr gt186 to name a couple really depends on what sort of performance you want, if you want screaming performance than rb20 might be an option many factors to consider, plus if power is increased you might want to lower the gearing to get a higher speed, you will have to upgrade other parts as well , a stronger clutch for one some upgrades will demand a change of crank plus bearings etc , where do you stop, depends what your looking for ?
Cheers Holty. I’m asking about tuning the 150 (without buying upgraded kits if possible).
Is it possible or worth it?

garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

Yes that's the one I no it's 200 but you can do the same with a 150 but it gives a few answers

Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

The 60s Lambretta Performance Manual has all you need to know about tuning GP150s, which is the same motor at the SX150 bar the 20 / 22mm carbs. I followed this advice many years ago and it really did pep up my GP150 nicely, to the point that a pal converted his Italian GP200 to Honda 205 as he was frustrated by my 150 keeping up with him :)
GazInOz

garry inglis wrote:Yes that's the one I no it's 200 but you can do the same with a 150 but it gives a few answers

But is it worth it?
Does a 150 still have the potential to go up to decent power/speed?
Im just interested if this a viable option without buying a 186 (etc) kit?

holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

I would say yes but I love making scooters go faster I would say Adams answer of a 150 keeping up with a 200 says it all
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information