It`s Done it Again !

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
YAMLAM

on my way to Hayling Island last week end , my lambretta went into Reverse again !
I had just come off the A27, turned left into two lanes of queuing traffic,filtering on the outside of both lanes i almost stalled the scoot but just managed to whip the clutch in and knocked it in to neutral, revs picked up again and i selected first , let the clutch out and it went backwards. Pulled clutch in, let it out again , backwards.
A club mate had stopped to wait for me so i pushed it up to him and said " watch this , into first clutch out and it reversed again !
Waited about 20 seconds ,put it into gear and this time it went forwards . This has happened once before but that was after i had stalled it. How can this happen when the engine hasn`t stopped running ?
win or lose have a booze
diesel
Playstation gamer tag: speilekorps
Main scooter: lambretta li 150 s1 1958

Just as a matter of interest does it have a lightened flywheel? And is the compression especially high?
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

It's the revs picked up statement if you turn the throttle there should be a response I would try a heavier flywheel

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Norrie Bodge
Main scooter: GP-1971-Ts230/S2-1960-Ts230

does it have an Ant.Tambs external pickup kit fited??
my GP did it once last year with one fitted
Monty
Main scooter: Series 1 Muggy, Imola Special

i almost stalled the scoot but just managed to whip the clutch in and knocked it in to neutral, revs picked up again and i selected first , let the clutch out and it went backwards
I would be looking at timing, You nearly stalled it stopped and kicked backwards enough to run. 2 strokes will run either way and has happed countless times, get your mates to bump start it backwards a good laugh when pissed
YAMLAM

diesel wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:28 pm Just as a matter of interest does it have a lightened flywheel? And is the compression especially high?
I run a mid weight Flywheel on this , compression not high,AF 225CC cylinder head 8:1 COMPRESSION.
Timing set at18 deg, strobed up.
Have been running this for a couple of years.
win or lose have a booze
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

I agree with Monty,check your timing.
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

funny enough mine has done this as well, not on a stall, but when i have kicked it off, mine has a big compression and it you dont kick it hard enough, it does sometimes start backwards, i can tell if at does it as it sounds funny. what happens is piston goes up the cylinder almost to the top, doesnt fire, as in you stalled it, piston goes back down and around the opposite way and then fires up, how did you stall it by the way, carb trouble ?
YAMLAM

Holty, I almost stalled it in filtering traffic, let clutch out without increasing revs, (dreaming about my first pint )
I posted on here about 18 months ago ,when i stalled at a set of traffic lights in my home town, restarted it ,into first , clutch out went backwards .
Not worried about it , just curious as to how it happens. I have run , built scooters since 1979, always do my timing by dial gauge then strobe , so im confident the timing is ok.
win or lose have a booze
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

You're confident it was right when you last checked it ... Is it right now?
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information