Smaller wassel/podtronic regulator?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
fluff34567

Hi,

Currently have the large black bgm wassel reg but I would like to hide it in the standard rectifier that is on the rear frame arm.

Who has done this before and any recommend regulators and any heat issues with it being enclosed?

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

Monty
Main scooter: Series 1 Muggy, Imola Special

I have hidden the small BGM unit inside a standard looking regulator box wiring it internally so he could plug in to the top bullet connections to look standard. This was an AC unit though with a DC trickle feed for battery so not the same as the bigger DC Wassel. No problems with heat on that unit. Seen smaller DC units as used on some rev and gos but not used one
coaster

You can buy small wassel 'style' single phase regulators for about £5 on ebay but they don't have any spec details so I couldn't vouch for output.
vegansydney

Watching this thread with interest!

On the LCGB forums there was pictures posted of a standard sized Wassel/Podtrodics that had a number of the cooling fins shaved to fit inside a plastic s3/GP Ducati rectifer box. It was claimed (at the time) that there was no issues with over heating. I can't seem to find post or pictures now, but hopefully someone will chime in with a link.

Another clean, but non-factory looking alternative (for S3/GP/dl machines at least), is one of Scooter Loopy John's Wassel/Podtronics brackets. 6 years ago I sent him a Wassel/Podtronics and commissioned him to make these works of art for me.

vegansydney

Now with correct image links:

Meds1
Main scooter: Lambretta li150s

Be prepared to collect the lump of melted potting compound and components.
These things do create heat, especially when they dump power, daylight riding is the worst as all the power is being dumped because your lights aren’t on.
Putting them in a plastic box with no airflow reduces their ability to dissipate the heat.
If you are goung to do this buy 2
fluff34567

Where I am lights must be on all the time.. will look into the smaller unit also

fluff34567

I found a Chinese wassel unit for about £5 and quality and sizing it's the same unit. Will shave off the edges and put it in a box and see what happens.

Will also look for the smaller unit

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information