No spark

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
mattyboyc
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150 series 3

Looks like that’s the case, I’m interested in any more tests I can do to identify the problem.
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

take the white \red\green coming from the stator to the coil or cdi and with a mulitimetor test on ohmes white to earth should be nothing red 95 to 110 and green 450 to 520 ohmes the green and red are pick up and low tension coil
mattyboyc

garry inglis wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 4:53 pm take the white \red\green coming from the stator to the coil or cdi and with a mulitimetor test on ohmes white to earth should be nothing red 95 to 110 and green 450 to 520 ohmes the green and red are pick up and low tension coil
Thanks, I’m at work tonight but will test that when I get up and post the readings.
Thanks again.
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

I’m sure Anthony Tambs said testing the green wire (low tension coil) was a waste of time as you are only testing something within the coil and not the actual coil itself, indeed I’ve had one with no spark but still got a decent reading on the multi meter .
coaster

Unplug the wires from the stator where they plug into the CDI (assuming it is electronic) you should have a green, red and white. set your meter to resistance and connect one meter lead to a good earth and the other to each of the wires in turn. You should get readings in the order of:
Red (pickup trigger) = 95-115 ohms
Green (low tension ignition coil) = 450-500 ohms
White (stator earth) = zero ohms

As I said above and in an earlier post, does your scooter have points or electronic ignition???
coaster

Scooterdude wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 6:49 pm I’m sure Anthony Tambs said testing the green wire (low tension coil) was a waste of time as you are only testing something within the coil and not the actual coil itself, indeed I’ve had one with no spark but still got a decent reading on the multi meter .
He was talking about the pickup which has 2 coils with a 55 (ish) ohm resistor in parallel with each one and that is what your meter reads on resistance. You need a 'Reactance' meter to rad the reactance of the coil but you'll need Anthony to explain. In reality, the pickups don't fail that often though.
If the fault is on the stator then it will most likely be the LT coil which being made up of a few thousand turns of hair like lacquered wire, are subject to failure due to vibration and heat. Loose earth connections on the stator are also a common factor of intermittent ignition failures.
mattyboyc

coaster wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 7:33 pm Unplug the wires from the stator where they plug into the CDI (assuming it is electronic) you should have a green, red and white. set your meter to resistance and connect one meter lead to a good earth and the other to each of the wires in turn. You should get readings in the order of:

As I said above and in an earlier post, does your scooter have points or electronic ignition???
My scooter does have electronic ignition and I shall get those readings tomorrow and post them on here for you to see.
Thanks
mattyboyc

coaster wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 7:33 pm Unplug the wires from the stator where they plug into the CDI (assuming it is electronic) you should have a green, red and white. set your meter to resistance and connect one meter lead to a good earth and the other to each of the wires in turn. You should get readings in the order of:

Ok, just done this test and the readings are as follows.

Red-093
Green-498
White-001

Hope this hopes with the diagnosis.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

It looks like your pick up(the red wire) is US,it should be 95-120
mattyboyc

Thanks, for your reply.
One of the guys I work with said straight away it would be the stator pick up box, so is this looking like the culprit?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information