LiS 150 stator slots not long enough (points)

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
firekdp

Using the mag housing fixing studs as reference, I'd say yours would be in the same position as mine with the stator rotated. Are you sure that the tip of the flywheel cam isn't worn through lack of lubrication?
johnny650
Main scooter: lambretta 64 li 150 Special

HxPaul wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 1:58 pm It cant be that the mag housing stator fixing studs/bolts are in the wrong position,as the studs/bolts go through the mag housing into the engine case.
ah....ok. thanks
I built the engine about 6 months ago now and couldn't remember if the stator studs/bolts went right through into the crankcase or not.
The 2x spare threaded holes in the mag housing are only as deep as the thickness of the mag housing so i assumed wrongly that the stator bolt holes were the same.
Getting desperate now for an answer. I know I must have done something wrong but I cannot find it yet . :(
johnny650

firekdp wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 2:51 pm Using the mag housing fixing studs as reference, I'd say yours would be in the same position as mine with the stator rotated. Are you sure that the tip of the flywheel cam isn't worn through lack of lubrication?
If the flywheel cam was worn.... the points would open later wouldn't they ?

I'll try the spare flywheel which I have just removed from my working engine and see if there is any change .
Flippin eck I have cursed the engineer at Innocenti who decided to put the points at the bottom of the stator and provide a tiny slit to adjust them through Grrrrrrrrrrrr
johnny650

30 seconds to check and amend posts is ridiculous !
The first image is of the working LiS150 engine I removed the second image is the 2x flywheels side by side they are identical
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Is your working engine a Ducati / Dansi mix as well?

The spare threaded holes are for jacking the mag housing out.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Also just zoomed up your pictures the posts look quite different on the last picture compared to the ones on the second page?
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
firekdp

johnny650 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:03 pmIf the flywheel cam was worn.... the points would open later wouldn't they ?
Not if you set your points gap first, like you should. If it was a worn cam, there is now a less pronounced ramp, so the flywheel would need to turn more before the points closed. They would also stay open for longer.
I haven't seen a worn one yet though
johnny650

rosscla wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:51 pm Is your working engine a Ducati / Dansi mix as well?

The spare threaded holes are for jacking the mag housing out.
The working engine has a Ducati flywheel and a Ducati Stator . I don't know what stator was fitted originally as the existing stator was replaced by me a couple of years ago. I just checked it over and the points have closed to 30 and the timing has advanced slightly from 19 degrees to 23 degrees but it was just going better and better until removed for rebuild.

Yes of course the 2x spare threads are for removing the mag housing doh....I did'nt think of that thanks.
johnny650

rosscla wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 6:10 pm Also just zoomed up your pictures the posts look quite different on the last picture compared to the ones on the second page?
The last picture is of the LiS150 engine I removed . The previous picture is of the new engine that I have built and fitted ;)
johnny650

firekdp wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 6:17 pm
johnny650 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:03 pmIf the flywheel cam was worn.... the points would open later wouldn't they ?
Not if you set your points gap first, like you should. If it was a worn cam, there is now a less pronounced ramp, so the flywheel would need to turn more before the points closed. They would also stay open for longer.
I haven't seen a worn one yet though
you've lost me now .........it doesn't take much these days lol :lol:

If the ramp was worn (which is extremely unlikely ) the points would open later and therefore the spark would occur closer to TDC so the ignition would be retarded no ? ;) I am going to check and compare flywheel ramps tonight. i have done so many checks with so many different combinations now ,.... I am beginning to repeat them :roll:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information