LiS 150 stator slots not long enough (points)

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
firekdp

No, if the points cam follower was worn then that would be the case. But a worn ramp would do the opposite. However I agree that it is unlikely.
But as everything else looks correct it is either that or you are setting it up wrong somehow.
johnny650
Main scooter: lambretta 64 li 150 Special

firekdp wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:23 pm No, if the points cam follower was worn then that would be the case. But a worn ramp would do the opposite. However I agree that it is unlikely.
But as everything else looks correct it is either that or you are setting it up wrong somehow.
I'm sure that you are right but I cannot see where I am going wrong . its getting really frustrating as I go over and over the same checks and fit different components . I am following the same method I used to time my working engine but the points are still beginning to open far too early :?

I have a 12v DC stator ready to fit ........ I also have a complete electronic ignition and charging system and one of your excellent looms too but I was keen to set the scoot up with a simple basic points system whilst running in before rewiring the scoot and introducing more complexity .

I'm going to re-check my TDC and absolutely nail it .........then I'll try again . :roll: thanks for all your help its much appreciated. if it wasn't for the generous help and advice of half dozen members like yourself........ this forum would be dead just like the LCGB forum is .
firekdp

I don't know whether it's the angle of the pics, or whether or not your points are set at approx .4mm max opening in that pic. But if they are they are, the static contact of the points is a lot closer to the coil than mine. Which would mean that either the points cam follower is shorter or your flywheel cam is further away.
Another point to check, and don't know if it would cause your problem, is the trueness of your crank
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

Also check that the points aren't shorting out against the condensor.
HxPaul

It might be a trick of the light,but the spring of the points looks like its fastened on the wrong side of the insulation.
johnny650

OK.............. :oops:......can I just say right .........................I've been suffering a lot of stress lately . :lol:

All i can say in my defense is there is not much light in the shed which is why I was using the top measurement (thou) and not the metric measurement (bottom) of my new feeler guage set .
In good light you can just make out the miniscule mm at the bottom .

I'll get my coat

firekdp

:lol: :lol:
At least you finally got it sorted.
I'd set them at .4mm rather than 0.35mm though as that is right on the limit and any wear of the cam takes it outside of it.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Sorted ... well done.
HxPaul

Adam_Winstone wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 10:31 pm Sorted ... well done.
+1
johnny650

thanks everyone for all your help ..........its much appreciated ..........and a big relief to get it sorted even though it was an embarrassing own goal . :oops:

It has been quite an eye opener to me that just a few thou error on the points gap could make such an enormous difference to the amount of Retard or Advance of the spark . I shall take particular care next time i set the points.

Hopefully once I've run her in I shall be fitting the electronic ignition system.

Heres an interesting thing.
Over the past 3x years the performance of my working LiS150 engine had mysteriously slowly improved ! .....so much so that I had to fit a slightly larger main jet

Before I removed the stator plate from my working LiS150 engine....... I checked the timing .
I had originally set it at 19 degrees but it had crept up to 22 degrees over a 3x year period as the 0.40mm points gap had reduced to 0.30mm !. Food for thought eh ?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information