Panel Fittings - Series 3

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
loadedscooterist
Main scooter: lambretta li150 special

Hi All,

Quick question I want to replace the panel fittings on my S3. It currently has the roller type fittings but I checked on fleebay and there are 2 different types available i.e. - rollers v the rubber fitting. Can I use either of these for my slimline panels or do I have to use the roller type? I guess my other question would be which is the best type?

thoughts please?

Cheers!!
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

I use the roller type,as far as I'm concerned their the best by far.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Not really sure why you'd want to change them. I haven't used the later plastic ones, but they never look like a good idea to me. On the other hand spring clips are very good, as used on the GP and Serveta.
coaster

The plastic ones work fine and there is no roller to sieze up. but both do the job. All I would say is if you are going to replace either, go to someone like MB or Scootopia as some of the replacement bent wire clips are WAY out. Even so, I usually have to 'engage' the plastic cam with the clip with my fingers.
loadedscooterist

Thanks for the thoughts. I have the rollers and the original clips so even screwed in they flop which makes lining up tricky. However, I did try and clean everything up and regrease but when i turn the handle back the actual roller is kind of stuck and wont turn anymore for it to secure into place. If it had maybe just 1-2mm more it would lock and be secure if that makes sense. I was wondering if its just the spring clips and wire clip have had their day and need replaced?
coaster

There is a pad behind the wire clip where it is clamped onto the rear of the frame if I remember correctly and if it is worn or missing the clip will twist forward slightly, possible enough to make it slack. No harm in renewing all the parts with re-made stainless parts but as I said before, buy quality items. I renewed mine on my 67 special several years ago with parts from one of the better suppliers, not stainless but galvanised and the fit was shite, the hooked ends were nowhere near. I heated if and bent it a bit but it was a sod until I eventually replaced it with an MB stainless kit which fits much better.
loadedscooterist

Hi there, thats sounds more than plausible and I will investigate some quality replacement bits. Thanks for the advice!
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

loadedscooterist wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:47 pm Thanks for the thoughts. I have the rollers and the original clips so even screwed in they flop which makes lining up tricky. However, I did try and clean everything up and regrease but when i turn the handle back the actual roller is kind of stuck and wont turn anymore for it to secure into place. If it had maybe just 1-2mm more it would lock and be secure if that makes sense. I was wondering if its just the spring clips and wire clip have had their day and need replaced?
Theres usually a clip that holds the centre part up,this prevents it from flopping down.As you put the panel on and locate the roller in the original clip,it will feel like its just getting stuck,at this point I press on the top of the panel,just above the handle and at the same time turn the handle,it usually fastens with a clunk.
loadedscooterist

Just as a quick update I got a new set of stainless clips and wire clip today and fitted them on and as if by magic the panels fitted perfectly. Looking at the two side by side there was a bit of difference in wire clip in terms of angles. At least something is going right for once. Now back to the bigger jobs as reported earlier. Wish me luck!
fluff34567

Where did you buy the clip /frame from?

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information