Noisey Gearbox

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
db67

Hi, got a bit noisy gearbox when the scooter is on tick over which seems louder around the rear hub side , doesn't seem quite as bad with a bit of throttle, I've checked the 1st gear shim with some feeler gauges & it's within the tolerances, all the bearings & endplate bush are new,the gearbox is an Indian gp 200 from SR, the endplate is the one that came with casing so is matched,chain is a new iwis type with brand new crown wheel & bearing bush, the only bearing that isn't new is the rear hub one but it's a good quality used Italian one, everything seems to work fine , would just be nice to get to the bottom of this noise ;) thanks for any info
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Perhaps it is just that you are using a lot of new components? They might bed in after a while.
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

It could be just the chane is a bit slack and rattling on the crown wheel teeth
db67

Hi, had another go at trying to get to the bottom of my rattling sil gp 200 gear box on tickover ( also had this on Italian gearboxes over the years with the noise disappearing when clutch is pulled in) but still not solved it so I have conceded defeat, all parts good,no serious wear, gearbox shimmed correctly etc, gearbox & clutch operate as they should with no problems,so I was just wondering if there was an oil that meets Lambretta spec that was maybe a little thicker & would maybe quiet things down a little ? :roll: thanks for any info ;)
Architecten
Main scooter: Allwyn Pushpak GP125 (RT200)

Have you checked whether kick start is rubbing on clutch?
db67

Hi,it does have a sil kickstart shaft fitted & I know the tolerances of these aren't always bang on , would it be worth fitting an Italian one? cheers
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information