AF 5 Speed Fitting Question

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
GeorgeS
Main scooter: 1961 Series II Granturismo 240

For those of you who have fitted the AF 5 speed boxes, did you need a selection of shims to get it right?

Thinking of buying one, but didn't want to have everything pulled apart to only find I haven't got the right bits.

Thanks,
George.
alanscottj
Main scooter: Lambretta GP SS250 Casa

GeorgeS wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:21 pm For those of you who have fitted the AF 5 speed boxes, did you need a selection of shims to get it right?

Thinking of buying one, but didn't want to have everything pulled apart to only find I haven't got the right bits.

Thanks,
George.
They recommend having a range of shims on hand but they also say that if you know the size of your existing shim you should be able to use the next 1mm shim down. It's all in here:

http://www.afrayspeed.co.uk/images/instructions.pdf

Hope that helps :D

Scott
Lambretta Series 2 Rat - RB260, SuperTourer, Cyclone 5 gearbox 😎👍
eden
Dealer

You will also probably need rear hub bearing shims.
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

yes you will probably need a few shims, just fitted one for a mate, but he also used a jockeys rear bearing in a spanish casing and a nos layshaft, af do say it needs to shim up between 1mm and 1.4 if i remember correctly
TexasUK
Main scooter: GP 150

I ended up with a 1.4 in there, way smaller than existing. They do tell you the right way to go about it in the instructions.
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

AF say that it generally sits about 1mm taller than your existing 4 speed gearbox, so if you've got a 2.4mm shim in there now you'll probably need around 1.4 for the 5 speed.
eden
Dealer

And if you currently have a 1.8 shim you will need a rear hub bearing shim to move the gears back enough to get the minimum recommended main gear shim size.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Eden, do you mean an extra shim between the inside bearing face and the layshaft?
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

i think you will need a shim to move the rear wheel bearing out to create more space, i used a jockeys rear bearing and they come with 2 shims, i had too much space so turned down the inner shim on my lathe to get the shim into the recomended 1.0 to 1.4 that rayspeed say is needed
eden
Dealer

rosscla wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:23 pm Eden, do you mean an extra shim between the inside bearing face and the layshaft?
No. I mean between the bearing and case
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information