Flywheel fitting - too tight

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
loadedscooterist
Main scooter: lambretta li150 special

Hi All,

I have recently bought a 12v kit with new flywheel and stator plate etc for my li150.

Having fitted the CDI and the regulator I then fitted the stator plate. When I fitted the flywheel it becomes almost impossible to turn once its hand tightened (almost feels like its locked) before its properly tightened to 50lbs and thus cannot be kicked over so makes me me think I have either done something wrong or have I been given the wrong flywheel for the scooter?

I am going to go back to the supplier but thought it might be good to ask here as a starter for ten.

Thanks in advance!! :oops:
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Do you have a GP or Li crank?

I presume the stator fits inside the flywheel ok?

Try taking the stator out and refitting the fly wheel and see if it turns like that. If it does then it's catching on either your stator bolts or the stator itself - don't try kicking it over.

Check your mag flange studs are not too proud.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
loadedscooterist

Hi there, The crank is an Li and yes the stator does fit inside the flywheel ok from what I can see.

I will have another look and I wont try and kick it over as that would cause damage.

Cheers and I will get back once I have had another look!
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

Is the crank turning without the flywheel first then mag bolt heads and stator bolts also push flywheel fully on and try turning
Tony Hart
Main scooter: Lambretta S2

If you have a single-handed torque wrench you could be tightening it too far. Your wrench will never “click” if it is single-handed.
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

i would suggest its the 3 bolts that are holding your stator plate that are making contact with the back of the flywheel and causing it to lock, most people now use button headed m6 bolts instead to give clearance, it could also be one or more of the studs touching.
loadedscooterist

Hi all, Thanks for taking time to respond. I will go back to the scoot during the week and will check out suggestions.

I am pretty certain that the scoot has an Li crank, however possibly it does have a different crank. The scoot was a import, restored and then stored and ridden on a private road for years so I have no documentation to suggest it is or it isnt. Not sure this throws any extra light on it.

However, I'll check out what has been suggested and take it from there. If anyone else wants to comment please feel free.

Cheers!!
loadedscooterist

Just one last question.... is there an easy way of telling the difference between and Li crank and a GP crank? without breaking open the engine?

Apologies for the schoolboy questions here and any help is always deeply appreciated.

Thanks!
rosscla

The taper on a GP crank is longer, thicker and shallower angled than on an Li crank.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
rosscla

GP taper
GP taper
image.jpeg (6.45 KiB) Viewed 4193 times
GP taper
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information