Gear selecter cable setup

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
saigonmark

A bit of a basic question but I'm struggling to set up the gear selector. I was out the other day and found that the cable nearest the wheel had slipped through the clamp so I couldn't get out of 3rd gear. Yesterday I tried to adjust it again but I can't seem to get it to work. Can someone give me a tip on how to set it up correctly? Sorry for such a basic question :oops:
ForemanBob
Main scooter: GP RT230

Personally, I always manually manipulate her into 4th gear, and adjust the cables from that starting point....

The MRB adjuster block helps with an easy setup too (but not essential)
pete maisey

Hi Mark,
Have your cables loose in the barrells,

Set the adjusters so that you have them in the adjuster block 2/3rds in (leaving only 1/3 adjustment for slackening off a tight cable).

Hold the handle bar gear selector on Neutral ^0. If any of the linkage or handlebar selector is loose you can bias a little towards 2nd gear. This helps with selecting 1st gear if there is any play.

Pull the inner cable next to the rear tyre tight through the barrell (use pliers).
Tighten the barrell Allen screw so as to hold the inner cable firmly.

Now pull the other inner cable tight with pliers, (there are special tools the job which helps prevent fraying the inner cable). Tighten the Allen screw on the second barrell.

Your cables are now set and you should not need to use the adjusters at all until the cables bed in.

Pete
mattyboyc
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150 series 3

Just used this method, can’t test ride though as I’ve lost my spark!.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

Make sure you've got the cables theright way around.Just remember back to front,front to back.In the headset the furthest forward cable goes to the back(nearest back wheel)on top of the engine and the other cable goes back to front.
mattyboyc
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150 series 3

Thank you.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information