New Layshafts?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
cartmel808
Main scooter: 1975 Vespa Rally 200 Femsa

I’m looking at new layshafts for a new engine build & there’s a few different re-made ones out there and at vastly differing prices...

So which one is considered ‘the best’ for a tuned engine (and which ones are to be avoided)?

The Casa one looks decent @ around £75 - as does the MB one but thats almost double the cost?!

Any feedback welcome...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Toot-oasc
Main scooter: Lambretta

Contact a few dealers that have original uaed good condition innocenti engine parts and seek an original layshaft.
That is what I've done recently and obtained a near perfect original layshaft. Less that the cost that you've included in your message.
Mrnice71
Main scooter: Lambretta series 3

Toot-oasc wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:58 pm Contact a few dealers that have original uaed good condition innocenti engine parts and seek an original layshaft.
That is what I've done recently and obtained a near perfect original layshaft. Less that the cost that you've included in your message.
Do not use innocent layshafts ,there has been several failures in recent years where riders have been hospitalised ...
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

The Casa ones are very good I have one in my ts but I would look at the new 18 spline layshaft kit £280 You get the hub bearing seal layshaft nut and washer plus they will be spot on for a 5 speed box
YAMLAM

Do not use innocent layshafts ,there has been several failures in recent years where riders have been hospitalised ...
[/quote]

i wonder how many thousands are in use compared to how many failures ?
Were the failures down to the layshafts or fitting error ie undertightened or over tightened ?
win or lose have a booze
CANbus

Does anyone have a 3D model of the lay shaft and the material type?
11111111 = 0xFF
GTFOMWSC
Main scooter: GP230 Super Monza CS Tuned

garry inglis wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:34 am The Casa ones are very good I have one in my ts but I would look at the new 18 spline layshaft kit £280 You get the hub bearing seal layshaft nut and washer plus they will be spot on for a 5 speed box
i can vouch for the octopus set up its really good using one in my super monza and is solid as a rock worth the money in my opinion.Only minor issue is the availability of spare hub studs really hard to get them seperatly, if one fails and you can't get them your screwed as no other hub/layshaft set up can be used unless you completely strip the bottom end out to change back to standard.Tbh i'd still use it though as it's rock solid and worth the outlay.
the man don't give a f@@k
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

What's different about the studs?
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

i have seen one of those new octopus hubs with the splines ripped off the shaft, so they can go wrong as can old innocenti layshafts, as mentioned i think there are many thousands of layshafts that have never failed, i have heard suggestions of wrong hub and cone, or worn ones can lead to layshaft failure, and overtightening the hub nut could be to blame for failures as well.
GTFOMWSC
Main scooter: GP230 Super Monza CS Tuned

rosscla wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:49 pm What's different about the studs?
longer and they have a different set of nuts the sip ones are too short as replacements as well
the man don't give a f@@k
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information