New Layshafts?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
User avatar
GTFOMWSC
registered user
Posts: 253
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:49 pm
ebay user ID: itsthewillo
Main scooter: GP230 Super Monza CS Tuned
Location: Rugby
Contact:

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:13 pm

holty wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:58 pm
i have seen one of those new octopus hubs with the splines ripped off the shaft, so they can go wrong as can old innocenti layshafts, as mentioned i think there are many thousands of layshafts that have never failed, i have heard suggestions of wrong hub and cone, or worn ones can lead to layshaft failure, and overtightening the hub nut could be to blame for failures as well.
first i've heard of one going, have heard of one coming loose but that was a wrong torque setting on the hub nut nothing to do with the hub or shaft.Could see it happening if it wasn't fitted right in the first place as they are a precise fit and if you haven't done it correctly it could rip the splines apart but that would be the fitters fault not the products.
the man don't give a f@@k

holty
registered user
Posts: 799
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:52 pm
ebay user ID: amholt123
Main scooter: lambretta gp
Location: east yorkshire
Contact:

Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:54 am

GTFOMWSC wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:13 pm
holty wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:58 pm
i have seen one of those new octopus hubs with the splines ripped off the shaft, so they can go wrong as can old innocenti layshafts, as mentioned i think there are many thousands of layshafts that have never failed, i have heard suggestions of wrong hub and cone, or worn ones can lead to layshaft failure, and overtightening the hub nut could be to blame for failures as well.
first i've heard of one going, have heard of one coming loose but that was a wrong torque setting on the hub nut nothing to do with the hub or shaft.Could see it happening if it wasn't fitted right in the first place as they are a precise fit and if you haven't done it correctly it could rip the splines apart but that would be the fitters fault not the products.
that was the point i was trying to make, but my typing skills are a bit limited, a layshaft fitted correctly should not fail, be it an old italian one, indian or modern design.

User avatar
CANbus
registered user
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:19 am
Contact:

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:52 pm

[/quote]

that was the point i was trying to make, but my typing skills are a bit limited, a layshaft fitted correctly should not fail, be it an old italian one, indian or modern design.
[/quote]

I don't believe that statement can be made accurately until a FEA is carried out on the part.
The lay shaft geometry derives from the 50/60's when the hp of the engine was probably half of whats being applied today generally.
The good news is materials have improved greatly since then.

Using a higher hp engine on the track would have a lower duty cycle than an engine being used day in day out as commuter.

Hence my request for a 3D model and material spec of the layshaft, I will conduct a FEA FOC, so pm if you have a model.

example.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yZ_Na4U844
11111111 = 0xFF

alanscottj
registered user
Posts: 957
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 6:54 pm
Main scooter: Lambretta GP SS250 Casa
Contact:

Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:41 pm

I've just fitted the CASA one on my CASA SS250 - quality bit of kit :D
Lambretta Series 2 Rat - Mugello 186, JL 4, 5 Speed gearbox 😎👍

User avatar
GTFOMWSC
registered user
Posts: 253
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:49 pm
ebay user ID: itsthewillo
Main scooter: GP230 Super Monza CS Tuned
Location: Rugby
Contact:

Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:11 am

alanscottj wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:41 pm
I've just fitted the CASA one on my CASA SS250 - quality bit of kit :D
+1
the man don't give a f@@k

psychedelicropcircle
registered user
Posts: 770
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:03 pm
ebay user ID: 3808_hunter
Main scooter: Series 1 li150 1958
Location: north of hadrians wall
Contact:

Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:26 pm

I’d recommend the MB layshafts although I do have a casa MS also which has a locking ring that actually fits ! no fileing the f**k outta it or owt!

User avatar
corrado
Dealer
Posts: 3192
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:12 am
Main scooter: Lambretta GP
Location: Top of Blackpool Tower
Contact:

Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:08 am

garry inglis wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:34 am
The Casa ones are very good I have one in my ts but I would look at the new 18 spline layshaft kit £280 You get the hub, bearing, seal, layshaft, nut and washer plus they will be spot on for a 5 speed box
It's actually cheaper than buying a "safe" hub and an "MB" layshaft.

cartmel808
registered user
Posts: 516
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:35 am
Main scooter: 1975 Vespa Rally 200 Femsa
Location: Durham, England
Contact:

Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:18 pm

I’m now leaning toward the casa m/s shaft & octopus hub set-up... I hadn’t really considered it initially, due to the cost of the kit - but as I also need a new hub, bearing, seal, etc to go with new layshaft... and having priced up ‘decent quality’ components from different suppliers, the octopus option now looks like good value @ £260.00.

For example (and I’m only trying to sell it to myself here), If I was to buy say; an mb layshaft, scootopia hub, decent bearing/seal/lock ring, etc - then I’m looking @ spending circa £250... so for little over a tenner more I can have the Casa multi-spline Shaft with matching hub & all ancillaries which in me head makes perfect sense.

Thanks for the replies...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by cartmel808 on Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Doom Patrol
registered user
Posts: 2248
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:03 pm
Main scooter: Lambretta GP 150 going on 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning
Contact:

Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:21 pm

Do it! You know you want too. :lol:

User avatar
garry inglis
registered user
Posts: 1144
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:04 pm
ebay user ID: garry52uk
Main scooter: 64 silver special rb200
Location: darlington
Contact:

Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:34 pm

cartmel808 wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:18 pm
I’m now leaning toward the casa m/s shaft & octopus hub set-up... I hadn’t really considered it initially, due to the cost of the kit - but as I also need a new hub, bearing, seal, etc to go with new layshaft... and having priced up ‘decent quality’ components from different suppliers, the octopus option now looks like good value @ £260.00.

For example (and I’m only trying to sell it to myself here), If I was to buy say; an mb layshaft, scootopia hub, decent bearing/seal/lock ring, etc - then I’m looking @ spending circa £250... so for little over a tenner more I can have the Casa multi-spline Shaft with matching hub & all ancillaries which imo makes perfect sense.

Thanks for the replies...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can afford it it'll take any power you might put through it and as your vespa I've seen push out 35hp I would think you have something planned for this lambretta engine

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 11 guests