Kickstart engagement.

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
psychedelicropcircle
Main scooter: Series 1 li150 1958

Have a mates RT230 up the mancave. He had to bump it back from brid last year due to the KS disengaging. Yesterday I went in adjusted it , it was connecting & turning over although still occasionally disconnecting. The 1st gear looks ok as does the teeth on the KS piston. It has a bigger spring in the piston for which I can only think is something to do with it’s big compression. At a bit of a loss as to why this isn’t an easy fix ! any input would be much obliged folks👍
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

Change the spring to normal one are you sure it's not an upgraded selector spring he has in the piston
ForemanBob
Main scooter: GP RT230

I had a similar problem with my scooter... I lengthened the slot for the kickstart pin by a couple of mm,and that allowed it to fully engage with first gear..
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

I prefer the earlier, open ended ramp. I believe they engage better than the closed one.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

Even if you use an earlier ramp,if the piston wont come out far enough it wont locate on first gear.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Watch the thickness of the gasket too
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
psychedelicropcircle

Thanks folks it’s an SX so therefore LI ramp. It’s an MB built engine & he tells me it’s been in again & the clutch has been dropped to a 4 or 5 plate from a 6. Says it’s only been problematic since then. Personally I can’t see how that would effect the KS. So far foreman bob seems the likely problem!
Livi- Graeme
Main scooter: Lambretta li 185 series 2

If the clutch is disengaged for whatever reason(coincidence only doing it since clutch was altered)the kickstart would give the same symptoms as what your experiencing would it not. Just my tuppense worth. I would be looking at clutch
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

psychedelicropcircle wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:12 pm Thanks folks it’s an SX so therefore LI ramp. It’s an MB built engine & he tells me it’s been in again & the clutch has been dropped to a 4 or 5 plate from a 6. Says it’s only been problematic since then. Personally I can’t see how that would effect the KS. So far foreman bob seems the likely problem!
You dont say why he changed the clutch to a 4 plate and if MB changed the case gasket I should check the thickness as suggested by rosscla.
psychedelicropcircle

I think it’s a 5 reduced from a 6 reason explained to me is the owner drives like a pussy & therefore doesn’t need a 6 with a blah blah 5 is easier maintained thicker plates etc etc. Next move is grind the slot on the KS shaft as it’s not unthinkable that these things are made to precision!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information