Front wheel bearing fitment

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Blenks
Main scooter: Lambretta S3 Li150

I am after a bit of advice regarding the fitment of the front wheel bearings. I am building from scratch and have done a bit of research (sticky's guide etc). However, I am still a bit uncertain about the fitting of the bearings. How can I be sure they are correctly positioned. I understand that when the second one is fitted it should not be tapped in so far that it presses up against the spacer tube between the bearings. Is there a sure way of fitting correctly or is it just down to care? What gap should there be between the bearing and the spacer?Obviously if they are tapped in too far it is a pain to remove and refit (plus needing to buy a new bearing).

Would the order of build be: 1. Fit bearing. 2. fit bearing circlip. 3. If necessary tap the bearing back to the circlip. 4. Fit spacer tube. 5. Fit second bearing. 6. Fit seals.

Cheers,
Paul
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Your order is correct, you just need to make sure that you don't fit the second bearing hard against the spacer tube.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

Just tap it in and leave 1mm if you go to tight just tap the spacer from the other side
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

I knock the first bearing in about 2mm using a socket that rests on the outside of the bearing,I then put the circlip in.I then knock the circlip/bearing combination into place using the socket until the circlip drops into its groove.Then I turn the hub and knock the second bearing into place,after first fitting the spacer tube (using sticky's method of utilising a fork link bolt to keep the spacer straight)The second bearing should be just shy of the spacer when in place.
Blenks
Main scooter: Lambretta S3 Li150

Thanks for tips all. I have to finish the fork assembly first then get on to the front hub and wheel. It’s my first build so taking it slow and taking lots of advice. I will definitely be back
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information