Small Block Kit -Opinions

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Strummer10
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Special 225

Just floating this. Have a Series 1 and want to do a small block kit build, what's the thoughts on current technology and good for purpose. Prefer a touring set up. Any thoughts appreciated ....
Mrnice71
Main scooter: Lambretta series 3

Strummer10 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:00 pm Just floating this. Have a Series 1 and want to do a small block kit build, what's the thoughts on current technology and good for purpose. Prefer a touring set up. Any thoughts appreciated ....
Max quattrini 210 looks a good bit of kit or even a Gran Turismo 186
Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

How much do you want to spend?

Personally I've been happy with my RT190 set up (60/110, BGM V2 exhaust, BGM stator & flywheel, 24mm PHBL). Solid piece of kit that was easy to set up. Fun in the city with the right gearing (MBD 5 speed)

I also have a CASA 185, feel under powered with a PHBL24 and Casa big bore. Might be better with a light flywheel and bigger carb. LI125 w18/47

Gori200 touring with a SH22 and stock LI exhaust. Feels like a stock Jet 200. A little bit boring on a long ride but smooth. Can ride the snot out of it with out a care. LI125 w18/47

RB20 with a 35 TMX and 2 stroke design chamber. E ticket fukr. SX200 15/46

I do not own but have built a couple GT186 motors. Great with a Mikuni 24 and JL3 on a SX200 box. Cylinder needed a little bit of additional work and the intake needed modifying for the Mikuni with long motor mounts. Easy to set up and made good power. SX200 15/46

I'd like to get my hands on a Max Quattrini but no motor to put it on right now.
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

RT...
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Here's one I prepared earlier. ;)

Small block kits.
Not sure how many small block kits there are now on the market but here's a few to go at, Gori cast iron 175 & 200, GT186 is also cast iron with reed valve. Alloy kits range from Casa 186, Mugello 186 & 200, MBbgm 195 all normally aspirated then Imola 186, Super Imola 186, RB200, Casa SS200 and Quattrini 210 which are reed valve kits. They're all good kits and probably with the exception of Indian [Ebay] 175 / 186 kits you can't buy a bad kit, only one that doesn't suit your riding style. You're better off posting the type of riding you do, what speeds, how far, and who with before buying a kit. Cast iron isn't generally as forgiving as the Nicasil lined alloy kits [opens another can of worms] but it does tend to warn you of impending doom by way of "nipping up". If a cast iron kit seizes then it's generally a case of a rebore and new [next oversize] piston, a fairly easy fix. When an alloy kit goes bang it generally doesn't seize it tends to burn a hole in the top of the piston and generally wrecks the nicasil lining. This necessitates the barrel being relined and cost of a new piston, which is much more costly. Both cast iron and alloy have their lovers and haters. The more power the kits produce means that more engine internals need replacing to cope with the extra power, mainly crankshaft and clutch. The Casa 186 kit was designed to work fine with standard crankshaft and small carb, it's probably [with the exception of the Gori 175 kit] the lowest powered [out of the box] kit. The alloy reed valve kits tend to be at the opposite end of the spectrum to the Casa 186 kit and can produce much more power [read 3 times the power of an SX200 in standard form] and like to be revved high to get the best from them. Price wise there's only about £200 difference between the Casa186 and the Quattrini 210 but you'll probably need another few hundred quids worth of upgrades to engine components for the "faster" kits. Buyer beware.
Meds1
Main scooter: Lambretta li150s

I like my RT for touring, pared with a MB exhaust, 60mm crank and 30mil carb. Pacemaker box running a 17x46, it’s as happy pooling along with standard 150’s or zipping along at 60/65.
It won’t break any land speed records but it pulles my fat carcus up hills pretty well and has a nice easy power delivery.
One of the guys I ride with has the casa kit, points, Li crank, 22mil carb and a clubman exhaust. Its a little slower than mine, pulls really well but cruses along nicely.
These are my opinions only.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

I also have a CASA 185, feel under powered with a PHBL24 and Casa big bore. Might be better with a light flywheel and bigger carb. LI125 w18/47

I have a Casa 185,the least power out of the box,but incredibly reliable.
eden
Dealer

corrado wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:03 pm Here's one I prepared earlier. ;)

[opens another can of worms] but it does tend to warn you of impending doom by way of "nipping up". If a cast iron kit seizes then it's generally a case of a rebore and new [next oversize] piston, a fairly easy fix.
Rebore is only required if its a heavy bad seize, "Nipping up" is quite a different thing. in 99% of cases a "nip up" that tells you your set up isnt quite right does no damage worth worrying about.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information