Light Flywheel?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Lamaddict

So it’s a close to standard motor and was wondering if a lighter flywheel might get me a slightly improved top end? At the minute I have a SIL one on but thinking of the AF Rayspeed lighter one.
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

It won’t help on a standard motor. Leave as is....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
johnny650
Main scooter: lambretta 64 li 150 Special

what weight is a 'light' flywheel ?

I just bought an electronic flywheel which weighs 2Kg and my original LI150 is probably close to 2.5Kg although I haven't weighed it yet. I read somewhere that AF Rayspeed sell one weighing just 1.2Kg
Does anyone have any recommended weights and application advice ?
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

Read this: https://www.scootering.com/scootering-c ... ng-part-3/

Darrell Taylor did a 6-part series called Bang for Buck Tuning. All 6 parts are available on the site now, part 3 (link above) covers the 2.6kg (heavy) & 1.85kg (mid) weight flywheel tests.

Up to 5400rpm there was no discernible difference between the two, over that there’s was 1hp difference.

This particular test would suggest that lighter flywheels come into their own much better on higher revving engines, than they do on standard/low revving engines.
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
Lamaddict

Thanks Drunkmonkey,

I just thought lighter the better and it would increase revs no matter what. Looks like there’s more science behind it.
johnny650
Main scooter: lambretta 64 li 150 Special

drunkmunkey6969 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:51 am Read this: https://www.scootering.com/scootering-c ... ng-part-3/

Darrell Taylor did a 6-part series called Bang for Buck Tuning. All 6 parts are available on the site now, part 3 (link above) covers the 2.6kg (heavy) & 1.85kg (mid) weight flywheel tests.

Up to 5400rpm there was no discernible difference between the two, over that there’s was 1hp difference.

This particular test would suggest that lighter flywheels come into their own much better on higher revving engines, than they do on standard/low revving engines.
Thanks for the link. I'd forgotten that it was covered in that excellent series B for B. ;)
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

Be wary of the lightweight ones from Rayspeed, I bought one last year they don’t match up with the cowling and the pickup rubbed on the inside.
Mark97
Main scooter: Lambretta GP200

Many years ago when I raced Group 4 using one of the early AF Ducati flywheels we did a dyno test using a standard road going stator plate and then replacing it with one that had just the Pick-up and the LT coil on it. The other redundant "lugs" had all been removed.

The theory was you would get less magnetic drag - and the dyno proved this - adding an extra 2hp all thru the power curve.
patrick
Main scooter: gp ts1 225

Be wary of the lightweight ones from Rayspeed, I bought one last year they don’t match up with the cowling and the pickup rubbed on the inside.
I fitted one and had neither of these problems.

Yes the fins are short so you might want to fill the gap between the ends of the fins and the cowl to improve cooling but that's it.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

I've found the mid weight flywheel to be very good and a nice compromise. You won't go any faster, but it does make the engine seem more lively. So you probably think you are. :-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information