Cracked engine mount lug!

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
db67

Hi, just wondered if anyone has had a Lambretta engine mount lug repaired successfully using alloy welding? I managed to crack the top of mind today :( (flywheel side) while trying to fit some new mounts, I was using the proper tool & loads of heat ( managed to burn one of my fingers in the process :oops: !) the mount was about home when I heard a crack which I thought was the mount seating & then looked & saw the crack on the top of the lug! :( just wanted to hear other people's experiences thanks in advance ;)
cgt75b
Main scooter: lambretta

Yes it can be done, and I've used a motor with a repaired lug with no issues.
I must stree though this was not a high powered motor which would make it a completely different story.

Good luck in your decision making.

Cgt75b............................................. :D
johnny650
Main scooter: lambretta 64 li 150 Special

damn thats a pita . Did you pre-freeze the mount overnight before trying to fit it ?
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

MB are experts...
db67

Hi,going to take it to a scooter dealer local to me who has done some good alloy welding repairs for me in the past, the engine is a touring tune ts motor so not really high powered, yes the mount was cold before installation, it had been in my freezing cold garage overnight ( been about -1 here for the last few days! Lol!) thanks for your replies. Cheers
Livi- Graeme
Main scooter: Lambretta li 185 series 2

Funnily enough but not funny at the time. We done the same thing with the same mount yesterday. One side popped in no problems other didn't. An old scootopia one went in no problem but this Indian one wouldn't(are they all different diameters). Should have stopped there and then but persisted in with the fitting and then that dreaded noise. Anyway now all welded up via a friend of a friend and silent block fitted. What a balls ache!!
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

measure twice fit once there are some anomalies tween engine mounts and engine cases
C’est la vie
Livi- Graeme
Main scooter: Lambretta li 185 series 2

Yep lesson learned.
johnny650
Main scooter: lambretta 64 li 150 Special

db67 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:38 am Hi,going to take it to a scooter dealer local to me who has done some good alloy welding repairs for me in the past, the engine is a touring tune ts motor so not really high powered, yes the mount was cold before installation, it had been in my freezing cold garage overnight ( been about -1 here for the last few days! Lol!) thanks for your replies. Cheers
Good luck with the refitting. ;) Its a pity there isn't a reamer available to ream the casing to specific tolerance prior to fitting the mount. I'm sure there must be a slight narrowing of the ID of the ears with oxidation and rust action over the years

I always put my bearings etc in the rapid freeze compartment of my Freezer overnight which is considerably lower than 0 degrees C . it should have frost on it when cold enough. Make sure that you heat the casing adequately too because heat dissipates quickly away from the area you are heating. Ideally your spit should sizzle when its hot enough.

If the casing is off the scoot I generally put the casing on the top of the large ring of the gas hob whilst I use a plumbers propane torch to target extra heat where I need it.
Its a bit of a faff but if its done like this you shouldn't have split casings provided the bore is cleaned and prepared
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information