ACID DIPPED/VAPOUR BLASTED CASINGS

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
wurzel
Main scooter: TV 175 / JET 200

I'm about to start building an engine but the casing has quite a bit of oxidisation due to
it having been laid up since 1970. I've always just cleaned casings up in a parts washer
before rebuilding them in the past but this time I'm looking to try something a bit different.
I have a side casing that's been media blasted and looks horrendous, so I don't want to go
that way, but I'm told vapour blasting doesn't adversely affect the surface of the metal.
I've also been on Rimini's site and looked at the acid dipping but don't particularly want
to send the casings by courier to Italy.
Has anyone had a casing acid dipped in this country and are there any acid dippers or vapour
blasters that anyone has used in the North East area ?

Regards Mark
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

Vapour blasting in Durham http://www.aqua-vapour-blasting.co.uk/
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Another alternative is the tumble / vibratory finish that MB Developments offer. Whilst not a mirror finish like acid dipping it is much brighter than vapour blasting and the "ball peening" technique hardens the alloy and makes it more resistant to corrosion. I think the price is down to how clean the cases are to begin with and whether they have to use cleaning mechanisms like ultrasonic before the vibratory machine can be used.
Toot-oasc
Main scooter: Lambretta

I've had casings dipped and brought up to looking like new from Trevor at Midas Touch.

Never one to seek publicity about his business, just gets on with the job.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information