Readspeed Lukas Lambretta CDI

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
essexgp
Main scooter: Indian Gp200 Indian Gp Cutdown

Anybody fitted one of these replacement cdi,s yet and what did you think of it?
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

I've been running one for a few weeks and am really pleased with it. The additional power at low RPM is very noticeable and has really cleaned up the bottom end on my piston port motor, which was never my intention but a nice benefit anyway.

TBH I've collected a fair selection of failed stators from clubmates as I've been helping mates to replace failed LT coils on too many failed stators... and in each case (bar 1 x pickup) it was always the LT coils that failed. The nice thing about this CDI is that it doesn't use the LT circuit so it should entirely remove that frequent failure issue. Indeed, a number of my pals have also commented that they might go for this option as they too have a number of failed stators kicking around, which they can now use again with one of these.

Adam
essexgp

Thanks for the feedback and happy xmas
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

I don't understand this adam doesn't use LT coil so how does an ac scoot run or is this dc only
garry inglis

I've just seen it on reedspeed site but there not saying how it works or bypasses the LT coil but at £79 I think I'll have one as a backup
Adam_Winstone

This uses the existing trigger (black box) but uses the power from the lighting coils/circuit to provide the spark, leaving the LT coil playing no part of the ignition system. Typically, when stators fail it is because of the LT coil burning out or it's very fine wire windings failing, whereas the lighting coils use a much thicker wire and are far less likely to fail.

Adam
shamrockexpress

Hi Adam
Does this weaken the lighting circuit now the stator is using 4 poles for the total output go normally 6?
garry inglis

Are you still connecting all three wires to cdi red white green and it's altering it's power source internally of the cdi
Adam_Winstone

No, I have no noticeable loss of power from the lighting and even at low revs I suffer no change of performance, even when on main lights and using the rear brake and sounding the horn... that said, I'd already moved to an led rear bulb to cure the usual dipping as revs drop and you apply the rear brake into corners at night but that is typical of any standard 12v AC system with the standard CDI so has nothing to do with the change of coil.

The ignition must use surprisingly little of the lighting circuit power as it really seems Tom make no difference, regardless of how low the revs drop. I'd half expected to run into some sort of misfire or light dipping but that simply isn't the case.

6 pole or 4 pole doesn't really apply as all of the 6 poles use 2 of the stations for something else, whether it be points + ignition coil or pickup + LT coil. This uses the same standard electronic stator, unchanged, but simply does not use the now redundant LT coil.

To wire it up you swap out the new unit for the old CDI and plug in the red and white, as previous, but not the green. The red is from the pickup to provide your timing trigger and the white is simply an earth so that's why they get used in the same way. The green is the old LT coil connection that you no longer need. The new unit has a yellow wire connection that you take to any point where your standard regulated lighting supply plugs into your common lighting/horn system. You can piggyback this straight off your regulator or take it to your 12v junction box, depending on your existing wiring setup. The new into also has a wire that you connect into your green wiring ( not the now redundant green from the stator) to provide your ignition switch's ON / OFF function.

These really are very plug & play. The only thing that I've not tried yet is reintroducing an external advance/retard unit (e.g. Agusto, M-Tech, etc.). However as they plug into the red's unchanged feed from the pickup, I see no reason why they would not work as normal. The bike that I'm using this on was running static timing already so this is not an issue for me yet but I will look into it as I run advance/retard on other bikes.

Adam
essexgp

Thanks for taking the time to give this feedback, sounds like ill be getting one very soon
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information