Piston and Ring Clearance

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Lamaddict

Just have TV barrel rebored for Suzuki TS185 piston. The guy honed it for 3.5 thou clearance between the piston and the barrel but now I’ve put the rings on the piston will hardly go into the barrel. Should the clearance be between the rings and the barrel, any other suggestions?
bazza3004

Have you checked the ring gap. Push the ring/rings in to top of cylinder a couple of cm using piston crown and make sure you have the required ring end gap by checking with feeler gauge. Cant recall what this should be on a cast barrel but sure some one will tell you. You may need to gently file the ring ends to achive this.
Lamaddict

Checked the ring gap at the top of the barrel and that was fine. I’m thinking the Suzuki TS185 pistons with the rings on needs a larger clearance than normal. It all just seems a bit odd.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

Are you putting the piston rings over the top of the ring pegs.
Lamaddict

Rings are in the right place
scooterslag

bad rebore maybe?
The mack daddy on the left!
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

3-5 tho sounds ok get some vernier callipers and measure spiggot end and top end as a rebore is different to a hone it could be out of shape
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

I know it sounds improbable,but have you tried the piston without the rings.Maybe its to big.
Lamaddict

Okay, took it back to the shop. The rings were upsidedown😊. Looking at the pin position and rings there was nothing to indicate a difference but he pointed out a small mark at the edge of the rings and that side faces the top of the piston. One to watch out for others using that type of piston.
Lamaddict

Then I put the wrong crank, too much stuff laying about.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information