I'm losing my sanity with misfire/splutter 225 TS1

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
celt

Adam_Winstone wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:28 pm What grade of plug are you running? I’ve known people suffer similar when trying to run NGK 10, sometimes even with a 9... but rarely with a 9. You could certainly try a different grade and see if it helps. Some odd ‘special’ types of plug, which others may recommend, can also cause such an issue. This can result from a plug not getting hot enough to ignite the mix correctly, resulting in a misfire.

Fuel starvation is a good shout from others. Are you running a rear exit tap? If not, just make sure that your hose is not squashing against the top of the flywheel cowling under suspension movement. A tap and hose can flow perfectly on the stand but then become heavily restricted when you sit on the bike to ride it, causing starvation. Get off to check and all is Ok again!

Good luck sorting it.

Adam
Plug is NGK B8ES with gap set to 0.50mm or 0.020". Fuel pipe is one with coiled spring insert to prevent kinking. I will check when seated if it is getting squashed.
celt

coaster wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:29 am When did you last change your rings? a compression check could be an idea especially if this has come on over a period of time.
New piston and rings fitted 3-4k miles ago. I maybe wrong but the ring gap could not of worn that quick
celt

drunkmunkey6969 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:53 am When you say ‘jetting same as one taken off’ ...did you use the old jets or replace with new, like for like?

If this is a new problem which has developed, and the scooter previously ran ok....then my advice is that you should have fitted NEW jetting to the OLD carb...rather than the other way round.

It’s possible that your needle/atomiser combo has worn...thus running richer, and creating a midrange misfire at that point. Replacing the atomiser/needle should tighten things back up.

Ignore this post if you used new atomiser/needle... Image
Dan
The scooter was dynoed by you some time ago. It ran great until the problem developed. I tried everything above including fitting a new needle into the old Mikuni TMX. Problem still existed so bought a new Mikuni TMX carb with the same needle and jets as the old carb. All I had to do was re-position the circlip to 2nd from top as this was the position in the old carb
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information