Who can rebuild my engine? Recommendations.

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Geocamper
Main scooter: Tv175 S2- Li 150 S2 Eibar

I have been let down by a friend to fully rebuild my engine on a Li 150. Replacing the top end with a RT195. I have got the majority of parts but until the case is opened I won't know what condition the current fitted parts are like. Any recommendations in or around the Bristol or Birmingham area?
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

just a suggestion- do it yourself. Get Stickies book and teach yourself- we all had to start somewhere and by doing it is the only real way to learn. There will be plenty of help on here. If you aren't happy doing it yourself try Tom Russell- find him under Bristol Lambretta Club.

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Where are you exactly? I know of someone and can probably help you out? PM me for the details.
GTFOMWSC
Main scooter: GP230 Super Monza CS Tuned

Can highly recomend Chris Sturgess he's Walsall based so not far from Birmingham
the man don't give a f@@k
Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

bristolmod wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:37 pm just a suggestion- do it yourself. Get Stickies book and teach yourself- we all had to start somewhere and by doing it is the only real way to learn. There will be plenty of help on here. If you aren't happy doing it yourself try Tom Russell- find him under Bristol Lambretta Club.

Chris
+1
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

I would find someone local to do it that comes recommended but has a good reputation and see if you can watch/help. My worry would be one little mistake if I did it could prove very costly. Doing it yourself is a great way of learning though ?
Chris in Margate
Main scooter: Lambretta 1964 225 Special

The Lambretta engine is really old technology and there is not much to go wrong. It's not like springs and ball bearings come jumping out all over the place when you open it up.
A decent set of tools and a good workshop manual such as Sticky's book will see you through.
Socket set
Torque wrench
Flywheel extractor and holder.
Gas gun.

Stripping the top end is simple. Just set aside all nuts washers etc in a plastic tub. Take photos on your mobile.
Clean down all surfaces.
Remove mag housing and remove crank. Again, bits don't go go flying everywhere.
Take the oil seal plate out. If not cofident get somebody to replace bearings in drive side and mag housing.
Reassembly. Clean and rub everything up with oil. Never force anything or hit it with metal Hammer. Ensure all gasket faces clean. True the head gasket face up with emery and wet and dry on a sheet of glass.
Tighten things down a little at a time.

Few other things to watch but for a top end overhaul that's about it.
Go on. You know you want to.
Geocamper
Main scooter: Tv175 S2- Li 150 S2 Eibar

Thanks Chris. Cheers I'm currently reading through Stickys book and finding out how to remove the casing from the frame. One thing at a time😀👍
firekdp

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information