ts1 reedvalve

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
gaz_powell

can anyone advise which rd model reed valve can be used in a ts1 and what modifications are required

cheers
Stampede
Main scooter: SX200

The reeds are from a RD350, you just have make cutouts for the screws.... Put it in and you know where to drill!
If you want the best performance, you should use a 5mm spacer between the reedblock and the barrel.
soulsurfer

Stampede wrote:If you want the best performance, you should use a 5mm spacer between the reedblock and the barrel.
I understand that the best performance is with dual stage reeds and the stops removed therefore no need for the 5mm packer. Also, it's possible to re-profile the reed cage to perform better than a V-Force.

BTW the Tassinari V-Force reed block is for a quad bike, Yamaha Banshee, a similar engine to the RD350, probably the best off the shelf option.
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
GP Kevo
Main scooter: 1969 150 DL / GP225 TS1

I understand that the best performance is with dual stage reeds and the stops removed therefore no need for the 5mm packer.
No, AFAIK, the longer reeds of the TS1 standard reedblock and the Yamaha RD/RZ 350 or Banshee reedblock still partially obstruct the boost port on a TS1 barrel. Dual stage reeds don't rectify this issue. The 5 mm spacer raises the reed block out of and clears the boost port.

The Moto Tassinari V-Force reed block is less deep than the others and so does not and so does not require a spacer to clear the boost port. Most of the benefit of the V-Force is in the midrange revs of a TS1. I have a dual stage Yamaha reedblock but that's for an older tune that hasn't seen the road as of yet. I swapped the standard TS1 reedblock for the V-Force on my TS1's and the difference in midrange acceleration is noticeable. I also like how they're are no screws holding in the reeds on the V-Force so there are no hard parts than can drop into the barrel.
Stampede

Problem with the Vforce is, the carbon reeds often crack due to the small space in the ts1 for the reed block. So they aren't very reliably, but it helps to cut some material out of the ts1, where the reeds are.

Soulsurfer, i never saw a graph which shows the improvement about dual stage reeds versus standard ones, and a spacer is always necessary with the RD350 block.
soulsurfer

Stampede wrote:Problem with the Vforce is, the carbon reeds often crack due to the small space in the ts1 for the reed block. So they aren't very reliably, but it helps to cut some material out of the ts1, where the reeds are.

Soulsurfer, i never saw a graph which shows the improvement about dual stage reeds versus standard ones, and a spacer is always necessary with the RD350 block.
I know matthew has done 1000's mile with his setup...
http://scooterotica.org/forum/viewtopic ... hilit=reed
Stampede

Yes, me too - 1.400 kilometres with the vforce.

They mostly break between 2.000-3.000 kilometres.
gaz_powell

many thanks for the replies
J1MS

Reed block info for Lambretta's seems a little thin on the ground, has anyone done any back to back testing with V Force reeds verses Yamaha and standard Reeds, either with or without packers, and the many different manifolds now available...

It seems there's money to be spent on the intake side of a TS1 trying to improve the performance with little if any hard facts as to which is best for whatever set-up your TS1 might be.

I always thought the reed valve sits too close to the Boost port on a standard TS1 to actually get the best flow through it, so I always run a packer, even with a standard TS1 reed valve and manifold... But I might be wrong in my belief as I haven't tried any dyno runs to compare, just seat of the pants testing and a rev counter...

:| Anyone?
soulsurfer

J1MS wrote:Reed block info for Lambretta's seems a little thin on the ground, has anyone done any back to back testing ...

...I always thought the reed valve sits too close to the Boost port on a standard TS1 to actually get the best flow through it, so I always run a packer, even with a standard TS1 reed valve and manifold... But I might be wrong in my belief as I haven't tried any dyno runs to compare, just seat of the pants testing and a rev counter...

:| Anyone?
soulsurfer wrote: I understand that the best performance is with dual stage reeds and the stops removed therefore no need for the 5mm packer. Also, it's possible to re-profile the reed cage to perform better than a V-Force.
Oh, at least someone is open minded to entertain what I said. I didn't pluck it from the sky it came from a very reliable source whose dyno experience is second to none. I don't have any figures bu I believe what I was told.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information