Help!

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Martin20
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 150 Special

Morning All.
Trying to remove my inlet manifold to fit a larger one to accept a 22mm carb. However, however hard I try, I cannot get enough clearance to lift the old one off. I have removed spring so engine swings downwards, I have taken off rear wheel , had wife lifting/pushing down back end, all to no avail. I am literally millimetres off! Am I doing something wrong, is there something else I should have done/be doing?

Any help/advice, would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Martin
cgt75b
Main scooter: lambretta

Have you taken out the rubber bump stop? If not try that.

Good luck.
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

occasionally when an engine is rebuilt, the manifold studs are too long. When the engine is put back in there is no problem, until your scenario arises.

Can you get clear of one of the studs? If so you may be able to gently ease the offending one forward till the second stud clears.

Alternatively try lying on the bike to push the engine further after removing the bump stop as mentioned above.

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
bristolmod

cgt75b wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:31 pm Have you taken out the rubber bump stop? If not try that.

Good luck.
I'm a bit uneasy about your post "count"..........

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
Martin20

bristolmod wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:36 pm occasionally when an engine is rebuilt, the manifold studs are too long. When the engine is put back in there is no problem, until your scenario arises.

Can you get clear of one of the studs? If so you may be able to gently ease the offending one forward till the second stud clears.

Alternatively try lying on the bike to push the engine further after removing the bump stop as mentioned above.

Chris
The exhaust side stud came out when I undid the nut Chris, so that side is fine, but still cannot wangle enough clearance for the carb side.! Bump stop has been removed!

My son has just turned up so will get him to lay across bike to see if that helps. Thought this was going to be a 10 minute job lol!
Martin20

Still no joy! Any other thoughts/ideas before I put it all back together again!
bristolmod

if you can get one side clear of the stud, you may be able to bend the other stud with a long screwdriver just enough to get the manifold over the top. I'm assuming you've got both nuts off?
Scootering since 1968.
Martin20

bristolmod wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:50 pm if you can get one side clear of the stud, you may be able to bend the other stud with a long screwdriver just enough to get the manifold over the top. I'm assuming you've got both nuts off?
Finally managed to get manifold off by using a piece of wood as a lever against barrel cowling!.Used same method to put new one on! Got everything back together and it started after a few kicks (replacement carb is a Jetex 22mm). Revving like crazy with choke on and stalling when off! Grandkids just turned up so that looks like it for today lol!

Thanks everyone for advice.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

All you need is two nuts fastened together (lock nuts)on the longest stud,remove the stud and the manifold will come off.When you fit a new manifold fit the stud in the reverse order.
Martin20

HxPaul wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:27 pm All you need is two nuts fastened together (lock nuts)on the longest stud,remove the stud and the manifold will come off.When you fit a new manifold fit the stud in the reverse order.
Thanks Paul. Will do that if I have to change back! :o
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information