Endplate fixing studs

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Minority
Main scooter: Li230 S3

johnny650 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:35 pm
HxPaul wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:56 pm Endplate studs are supposed to be 28mm in length with a 10mm thread on each end,by the way you dont need to fit a flat washer,just a spring washer.
thats all very well but as i said 2x top sellers sold me studs that measured just 26mm and a 10mm thread has only 8mm useable thread at best.
Try running a nut onto the first 2mm of a stud and see what sort of secure fix you can achieve .
A flat washer is the original fitting and spreads the torque better . it also protects the softer aluminium from damage by the spring washer
Endplate isn't soft aluminium, just saying ;)
And I've never seen plain washers used, just spring washer (only spring washers shown in any exploded parts diagram that I've seen)
Minority
Main scooter: Li230 S3

Another thought, remember clearances are very tight in this area on the Lambretta. Taller studs & nuts (I think the correct nuts are shorter than standard aren't they?) and extra washers might cause rubbing problems on the chain/crownwheel.
johnny650
Main scooter: lambretta 64 li 150 Special

Minority wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:55 am Another thought, remember clearances are very tight in this area on the Lambretta. Taller studs & nuts (I think the correct nuts are shorter than standard aren't they?) and extra washers might cause rubbing problems on the chain/crownwheel.
yes steel of course ..........it was late and I was tired but flat washers do spread the load better than a spring washer and a spring washer alone will probably effect the torque

There is plenty of room for an extra 5mm of stud .There is nothing in the crankcase that could possibly interfere with the studs although with the application of a little commonsense one would cut overlong studs to whatever length suits the job in hand. ;)

if you look at an endplate and measure it yourself with a venier gauge you'll see that the fixing holes are recessed by 8mm . ;)
Stickys manual page 72 refers to the height of the nuts and mentions that you can use regular sized nuts because of this recess in the endplate.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

deleted
Last edited by HxPaul on Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
HxPaul

HxPaul wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:47 am [quote=johnny650 post

if you look at an endplate and measure it yourself with a venier gauge you'll see that the fixing holes are recessed by 8mm . ;)
Stickys manual page 72 refers to the height of the nuts and mentions that you can use regular sized nuts because of this recess in the endplate.
If you use full nuts the chain will hit them,especially 1 and 6.By the way,its page 92 of Stickys manual if your using the second edition,not 72.
[/quote]
soulsurfer

Bin the washers and fit k-nuts ;)
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
johnny650
Main scooter: lambretta 64 li 150 Special

HxPaul wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:53 am
HxPaul wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:47 am [quote=johnny650 post

If you use full nuts the chain will hit them,especially 1 and 6.By the way,its page 92 of Stickys manual if your using the second edition,not 72.
[/quote]

the chain will not hit full height nuts
you really should do some proper research for yourself Paul instead of making assumptions based on ...something that you've heard or read somewhere.

Get an endplate and a regular height nut and measure the depth of the endplate nut recesses with a vernier gauge and you'll see for yourself that a regular height nut does not project beyond the surface or the endplate either side of the nut recess and therefore cannot interfere with a chain .

Its the same case with the chap that claimed that I must have 'bottomed out' the studs . He clearly has never done the job himself or measured the depth of the thread holes in the case which is 18- 20mm nor the length of the threads of a endplate stud which are 8mm !

By the way I am using the first edition Sticky if thats ok with you :D its page 72
HxPaul

Firstly,your the one who asked for suggestions,if you want to ignore the suggestions thats up to you,thats no excuse for clever and pointed comments,by the way you can use which ever manual you please.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information