Fork spring decision

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Blenks
Main scooter: Lambretta S3 Li150

I am currently restoring my Li150 and am looking to rebuild the forks. I have damper mounting brackets so will be adding a pair of dampers (either targaline or BGM thin type). I would like to know; should I replace the springs for standard or progressive if using dampers or does it not matter which.
Cheers,
Paul
shocky

I would

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
Blenks

Thanks Shocky. I will definitely be changing the rods and springs. Really was looking for advice on whether to go for standard or progressive if using dampers. I have heard tales of difficulty to fit the progressive due to spring stiffness. I have a spring compressor tool but believe it is still very difficult to compress the progressive type.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

It's a good question though. I use both standard and progressive springs and I'm not sure I've noticed any difference, to be honest. There may well be of course. But it's probably subtle.
Blenks

If the difference is really so subtle then I will probably go for the standard, more for ease of fitment than anything else. I image that the dampers working with the standard spring setup will be adequate for my sedate riding style. It never does massive amounts of miles in any one journey nor is it ever ridden hard. I'm more a Sunday morning fare weather man.
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

progressive springs were standard fit on some lambrettas
C’est la vie
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

Remember that progressive only means that the spring constant changes with compression. A progressive spring may well be softer (and often is) under normal riding.

If you're concerned about a firmer ride (oo-er Mrs!) Then you need stiffer springs which may or may not be progressive.
Blenks

All interesting stuff. I'd like to go for the MB progressive as they have very good reviews. However, they appear to be the most difficult to fit. Decisions, decisions :?: :?: :?:
soulsurfer

If you have the correct tools, there’s no problem fitting progressive springs.
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
Lamaddict

Try and keep the original rods. The yellow Cam Lam ones are very good but they are out of stock and don't ship to the US. MB I've heard are good but expensive. Scootopia are too soft, just like standard. eBay ones aren't the right size. I've just put some SR ones in, they look okay but not tried them yet.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information