Layshaft installing and shimming

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
johnny650
Main scooter: lambretta 64 li 150 Special

I am currently rebuilding a series 3

When i initially installed the gears I had a 2.5mm discrepancy between the top of the layshaft and the face of 1st gear ! so I was clearly miles off somewhere.
It didn't take me long to realise that despite following Stickys guide I managed to put first gear in upside down. :oops: :roll:

Having a diagram showing the correct installation sequence would imho be much easier to follow for a first time builder than a rather confusing written description. Its the same with the gear selector shaft assembly . If you have never assembled one before and buy the parts separately its easy to omit a shim washer from both the shaft and under the link bar circlip. The official lambretta Workshop Manual doesn't contain any useful diagrams or exploded views either.[fbvid=]Imagelayshaft shimming lambretta by John, on Flickr[/fbvid]
Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

I want to say Sticky's book covers it in pretty good detail. The good part is the gears will show you pretty quick when something is installed backwards.

Your cat is shedding on your gear box.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

johnny650 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:12 pm I am currently rebuilding a series 3

When i initially installed the gears I had a 2.5mm discrepancy between the top of the layshaft and the face of 1st gear ! so I was clearly miles off somewhere.
It didn't take me long to realise that despite following Stickys guide I managed to put first gear in upside down. :oops: :roll:

Having a diagram showing the correct installation sequence would imho be much easier to follow for a first time builder than a rather confusing written description. Its the same with the gear selector shaft assembly . If you have never assembled one before and buy the parts separately its easy to omit a shim washer from both the shaft and under the link bar circlip. The official lambretta Workshop Manual doesn't contain any useful diagrams or exploded views either.[fbvid=]Imagelayshaft shimming lambretta by John, on Flickr[/fbvid]
Thats the first gear and its assembled the correct way.
Fux
Main scooter: li150 S2

Hehe... I think most of us knew you meant 4th
johnny650

Grumpy225 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:01 pm I want to say Sticky's book covers it in pretty good detail. The good part is the gears will show you pretty quick when something is installed backwards.

Your cat is shedding on your gear box.
bloomin lazy cats :roll:

Actually Grumpy ,....speaking as a Lambretta engine rebuild novice , I would say that there are some aspects to Stickys book that could definitely do with some improvement and updating imo. You are assessing Stickys as an experienced engine builder so you will not be seeing any omissions or ambiguities because your experience will fill in the gaps . Your mind can create an accurate visual map of the parts of a particular component and how it all fits together etc from your extensive experience.. A novice cannot do that. ;)

The problem for complete novices is this .

When you are a complete noob to something,( like rebuilding an engine gearbox,) you might even never have dismantled one... so you have absolutely no idea how the thing comes apart or how it goes back together or what parts are needed. if you have bought a spare crankcase, as many of us do ,you may need to buy every single thing that needs to go into that case from scratch so you need parts lists and clear exploded diagrams showing how things go together .

This is where a workshop manual like Stickys is so invaluable, however ..... it should never assume anything . To be effective it should be absolutely clear and leave no ambiguities and this is where in my opinion some aspects of Stickys manual could do with some improvement.

If someone has built an engine gearbox before it would thereafter be almost impossible to imagine how difficult it is for a complete novice to do this for the first time armed only with perhaps Stickys manual and some very poor quality exploded views on the net that are impossible to make out small parts .

Let me give a simple example.

How many experienced builders can list the exact number of parts to a gear selector shaft, fork and tie rod arm ? thats everything from the selector fork guide pads to the link arm. ?

Its one of the very first components to be fitted in the Sticky guide but you show me where it clearly shows the parts involved and exactly how they are assembled into the case. ;)
johnny650

Fux wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:50 pm Hehe... I think most of us knew you meant 4th
doh ! :roll: senior moment Fux .......yes I meant 4th gear of course. . Visual guides are so much easier to follow than text for novices . its a pity Sticky doesn't use an exploded view or photos to show all the gears in the correct orientation . Once you know you'll never forget but for a novice its a struggle to follow the written instructions when you have no idea which way the gears go together.
Fux
Main scooter: li150 S2

Buy a Vespa and use a Haynes manual to rebuild the enginge.

Stickies is a breat book and if you need bigger pictures, you can try scooter help.
johnny650

Fux wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:57 pm Buy a Vespa and use a Haynes manual to rebuild the enginge.

Stickies is a breat book and if you need bigger pictures, you can try scooter help.
:?
kejj

And get sausage's dvd

Skickat från min F3311 via Tapatalk

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information