No spark !

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Grant McLachlan
Main scooter: Indian GP RT 225

I am currently building an 1984 Spanish Lynx type 200. However I am getting no spark despite 2 different stators and 2 different flywheels being tried. One an AC BGM and one an Indian reworked one from Scootronics, Flywheels tried are a BGM and standard Indian. The engine is earthed and I have tried 2 different BGM CDI's still no spark. Am I right in thinking this could be pick up height related ?. I have the same ignition configuration on my GP and it worked great right out of the box. Are Spanish Mag flanges the same or are there differences that might influence pick up height. I thought that even if pick up height was out a little you would still get a spark of some sort. Getting close to torching it !
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

check your ignition switch first.
Scootering since 1968.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

It could be a whole host of things.As has been said try your igntion switch/cut out button,try the wire from CDI to ignition switch/cut out button,try the CDI,Try the HT lead,try the plug cap,try the spark plug and finaly it could indeed be the pickup height,good luck and let us know the outcome.
coaster

HxPaul wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:40 pm It could be a whole host of things.As has been said try your igntion switch/cut out button,try the wire from CDI to ignition switch/cut out button,try the CDI,Try the HT lead,try the plug cap,try the spark plug and finaly it could indeed be the pickup height,good luck and let us know the outcome.
+1 8-)
Grant McLachlan

Ignition switch is not connected, green earth wire removed from CDI in order to eliminated this possibility (yes I have tried both just in case I was removing the wrong one) When I tried the Indian flywheel the pick up looked to be well back from the flywheel windows (impossible to view with BGM one) . I did try a third flywheel an AF Ducati one but when I tightened it locked against the stator bolts but the pick up looked a lot closer to the windows. I;m going to remove the stator bolts and fit short head allen bolts and try the Ducati one again just to eliminate pick up height. Each component I know works on an other machine.
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

I had a similar problem with an RT build week before last. Scooter came in running, fitted engine kicked it over a few times and nothing, tried another new af CDI I have and still nothing, checked lt coil on stator which was fine, put the other CDI back on and the mother fired up straight away. Funny thing Lambretta electrics I could swear that they have become self aware😅
coaster

Scooterdude wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:00 pm ................ Funny thing Lambretta electrics I could swear that they have become self aware😅
:lol: :lol: :lol: Aint't that the truth
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

I had a similar issue with my Lince build recently, it would spark but it was weak and this was with the Scootronics stator and CDI and a midweight flywheel - it wasn't for starting.

A tip was to tippex a couple of lines on the side of the pickup level with the poles and also to tippex the poles on the flywheel - it makes it a bit easier to see the alignment. It's very hard to work out how to measure it with the vernier.

Eventually I had to put about 1.8 mm of shims under the pickup and then it started much better.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Grant McLachlan

Thanks rosscla, your post gives me hope! I recently transferred my complete ignition from my GP and still nothing. I wonder if these late Spanish mag flanges are machined deeper to accommodate the original 3.2kg flywheel and electronic ignition. I would like to exhaust all options before I change the mag flange as this would mean stripping the newly built engine to change the collar on the newly installed GP crank. I've already come to the conclusion its the pick up height however as I have no spark at all I'm likely looking at more than 1.8mm. Similar problems on the same type scooter your post has been encouraging.............maybe I'll postpone torching it.
Andy W
Main scooter: GP 186 Imola

Had the same thing on my BSSO RB 20 race engine at the weekend, we changed everything and in the end checked the pick up height. Had to add 4 shims and then it fired into life and ran faultlessly all weekend.
Andy
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information