Any 'speedo fix' tricks?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Martin20
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 150 Special

Morning All!

Speedo on my LIS 150, has once again stopped working! Had 2 new inners which have covered approx 400 miles between them, but started 'fluttering' badly a couple of days ago, and has now stopped! Took it all to bits yesterday, examined (all looks OK), and lightly lubricated, refitted, but no joy. To be honest, neither of the inners I have look worn, so other than buying yet another inner, I am at a bit of a loss as what to do next!

I know most lammies have/had speedo problems at some time, but wondering if anyone has any 'old school' fixes that might help!

Cheers
Martin
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Are you using the right size cable for the speedo, pairing the thicker section cable to the Italian type speedo or could you have the thinner section Indian inner in there?
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

I only use original speedos,because an after market speedo,no matter were you buy it eventually begins bouncing.
Martin20

Thanks for replies guys.
HxPaul wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:52 pm I only use original speedos,because an after market speedo,no matter were you buy it eventually begins bouncing.
Both bought off eBay, and quite cheap, so assume not original. Any recommendations on which to buy?
Adam_Winstone wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:22 pm Are you using the right size cable for the speedo, pairing the thicker section cable to the Italian type speedo or could you have the thinner section Indian inner in there?
Couldn't swear to it, but fit on both felt OK! Guess it's just a quality thing. Old adage, buy cheap, buy twice!
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

I note that some of the better, but still cheap, retro speedos are designed to fit the thicker Italian speedo cable drive end so it could be a mismatch of cable and speedo but it may simply be a poor function speedo if too cheap.
a.j

Just wrap a garmin forerunner round your handlebars, job done.
HxPaul

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lambretta-90m ... Swf~9ZYgvc
non original
See pictures of back of speedo
Last edited by HxPaul on Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HxPaul

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Speedometer-v ... Ciid%253A1
original
See pictures of back of speedo
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

Garmin forerunner GPS Image

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Martin20

Adam_Winstone wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:21 pm I note that some of the better, but still cheap, retro speedos are designed to fit the thicker Italian speedo cable drive end so it could be a mismatch of cable and speedo but it may simply be a poor function speedo if too cheap.

Speedo is the 52 year old original, so guess it could be the inner sleeve within the speedo itself that is worn. Might try one more quality inner to see if that works, otherwise will look at a quality replacement!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information