AC vs DC stators and electronic kits.

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
fluff34567

Hi all.. trying to get my head around a few things here before I choose the electronic kit for my battery equipped scooter.

What's the difference between an AC stator that has a regulator/rectifier with a DC tap off for battery charging, and a DC stator and a wassel regulator with DC output?

Is it just different way of doing things but result is the same?

looking at the BGM dc stator and associated regulator BTW.
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

The ac stator only has capability for a small dc output (trickle charge a battery), whereas the dc stator uses all the available power for dc giving full dc power to lights, etc.
Scoot
Main scooter: Lambretta Jet200

mick1 wrote:The ac stator only has capability for a small dc output (trickle charge a battery), whereas the dc stator uses all the available power for dc giving full dc power to lights, etc.

So why do they make AC stators. There must be an advantage somewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
paulnobodyimportant
Main scooter: varies

I keep wondering that as well, ie what are the pros and cons between AC and DC, considering that most of the Lambrettas were basically AC
ForemanBob
Main scooter: GP RT230

Scoot wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:25 pm
mick1 wrote:The ac stator only has capability for a small dc output (trickle charge a battery), whereas the dc stator uses all the available power for dc giving full dc power to lights, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Could tell you about tale as old as time... Look up Tesla vs Edison....

But it comes down to cost... DC system needs a battery/pseudo battery... AC doesnt.
Meds
Main scooter: Li125s

Cost, full wave rectifiers and battery's are cheap and reliable now but weren't 30/40/50 years ago.
The AC stator is simpler and doesn't need a battery/smoothing system.
The DC system is more efficient, gives better more constant lighting.
What I can't understand is that the only differe between the AC and DC stator is an extra wire, why all stators aren't made DC then up to the individual whether to use it as AC or DC.
ForemanBob
Main scooter: GP RT230

fluff34567 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:27 am Hi all.. trying to get my head around a few things here before I choose the electronic kit for my battery equipped scooter.

What's the difference between an AC stator that has a regulator/rectifier with a DC tap off for battery charging, and a DC stator and a wassel regulator with DC output?

Is it just different way of doing things but result is the same?

looking at the BGM dc stator and associated regulator BTW.
The result is not the same... AC stator all your lights will be on AC, and you have the capacity with the 5 pin regulator to trickle charge a battery to run DC accessories. Lights not as bright with AC...

With the DC stator and rectifier/regulator the full loom is running DC... you still need a battery/pseudo battery to make the whole lot work tho...
Meds
Main scooter: Li125s

That didn't answer the question.
If you have a DC bike with battery get a full DC with wassel as the AC system with DC tap off doesn't have enough power to run a full DC system.
fluff34567

Meds wrote:That didn't answer the question.
If you have a DC bike with battery get a full DC with wassel as the AC system with DC tap off doesn't have enough power to run a full DC system.
Perfect thanks for the info...
Monty
Main scooter: Series 1 Muggy, Imola Special

As a confirmed DC user I fail to understand why folk opt for AC. The benefits are plain to see with good lights that don't flicker. The whole system comes down to one extra wire and swapping the regulator for a Wassel type as opposed to a Vespa one. Battery technologies has moved on a bit in 60 years so you are not tied to a wet lead acid one if you don't have a conventional tray, you can fit one anyplace and if push comes to shove do without one by fitting a capacitor the size of a Duracell AA battery. You won't have lights without the engine running but all the other benefits like LEDbulbs working as they should. You don't need to buy a new stator the mod is well documented and any one with a soldering iron can add the extra wire. You will need to swap your horn for a DC one.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information