AC vs DC stators and electronic kits.

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
paulnobodyimportant
Main scooter: varies

Glad that's also explained why AC was the original choice. But ever since the DC conversion was posted I've converted all mine to Wasell DC on both Lambretta and Vespa with dry battery. And seen the benefits.
Meds
Main scooter: Li125s

Another major advantage to a full DC system is you can charge your phone, iPad run an inspection light or just recharge some battery's.
The biggest drawback is where to fit the battery and that's not too big a deal.
I would also mention that you don't need a big motorcycle or scooter battery as they are used for starting.
But battery choice is a whole different topic.
fluff34567

Does the wassel reg fit on the bracket at the rear of the hoop?
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

The electronic stators themselves are basically the same regardless of AC or DC denomination.

The difference is in the wiring. It involves removing the earth at one end of the lighting coils and adding a wire that runs out of the magneto housing then running that wire, plus the original wire to the rectifier.

If you simply connect that additional wire to earth and the other to a regulator you have the same as the traditional AC system.

All UK bikes should originally mainly have had a battery due to the requirement to be able to run a parking light. Most other markets would have had more AC (cheaper) systems. The large numbers of imports in more recent times will have skewed this.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
coaster

Monty wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:03 pm As a confirmed DC user I fail to understand why folk opt for AC. The benefits are plain to see with good lights that don't flicker. The whole system comes down to one extra wire and swapping the regulator for a Wassel type as opposed to a Vespa one. Battery technologies has moved on a bit in 60 years so you are not tied to a wet lead acid one if you don't have a conventional tray, you can fit one anyplace and if push comes to shove do without one by fitting a capacitor the size of a Duracell AA battery. You won't have lights without the engine running but all the other benefits like LEDbulbs working as they should. You don't need to buy a new stator the mod is well documented and any one with a soldering iron can add the extra wire. You will need to swap your horn for a DC one.
Perfect answer.

Also, to clear some confusion, the term 'DC Stator' is incorrect as all stators produce AC. DC Enabled would be more accurate. As already stated, the only difference between the 2 is the disconnection of the lighting coils from the earth tag and attaching an extra wire to it. If you ever need to convert back to AC all you would have to do is attach the other end to earth.
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

Been a good thread this fluff nice one😎
fluff34567

Cheers for all the info.. I have a battery so no stress. Just need to find the diagram for the mb universal loom and where it all goes
rosscla

Connect all the wires at the junction box end together and connect the power to them..simples
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Meds
Main scooter: Li125s

The my loom is pretty simple- go to their website and its on there.
The ststor wiring is included in the pack.
There's plent of help around for wiring.
rosscla

rosscla wrote:Connect all the wires at the junction box end together and connect the power to them..simples

Sorry should have said

'except the greens, which should be connected to each other and isolated from the rest.'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information