Fitting Condenser!

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Martin20
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 150 Special

Having to fit a new condenser to my LI Special. Never fitted one before, so not sure if I will be able to fit with stator 'in situ', or will I have to remove it? If it has to be removed, am I right in assuming that if I mark it's exact position on the mag housing, and replace in same place, I will not have to reset points?
dapper
Main scooter: The Biriani Bullet

If you are meaning the condenser (capacitor) next to your points, then yes, you will need to remove the flywheel as points and condenser are underneath. Don't forget the flywheel centre nut is left handed thread when removing. You will most probably have to remove the stator plate to do it properly as you will have to solder the new condenser in place (best done on a workbench). The other tip is to have the condenser mounted on say one of the frame legs and wire it from outside via the cable hole in the top of the mag housing. That way, if the new one fails at any time, you don't have to remove the flywheel again to replace it. Yes, if you scribe exactly the position of the stator plate before you remove it and replace exactly where it was, you shouldn't affect your firing point.
Compact Toolbox Flywheel Holder
Martin20

Thanks ' dapper'.Have had flywheel off to get it remagnetized, put it back on on Saturday and it started 2nd kick, and was fine. Went to it Sunday morn, kicked it twice, started, then died immediately. Checked for spark, and nothing! Flywheel cover off, looked through viewing slots and could see a loose wire. Wipped flywheel off again, and found wire from points to condenser just about shredded! Not sure how it happened as wire is so short!
Anyway, ordered another and hoping to fit later this week. Looks like stator coming off tonight then!😨
johnny650
Main scooter: lambretta 64 li 150 Special

you'll be able to do it in your sleep soon martin ;)

Thats a good suggestion about fiting the condensor outside the mag housing but its a pita to find somewhere to mount it and run the wire.
I fitted 3x brand new condensors on my special when I first got it. They were all faulty supplied by a prominant SW supplier. :cry:
I'm seriously considering fitting electronic ignition to mine but it runs so well stock I'm inclined to leave well alone
Martin20

I'm getting there Johnny, slowly but surely! Seems like every job I do though, creates another! S'pose thats Lambrettas for you!
A plus last weekend though was that I managed to get all three new tyres fitted without too much trouble (baby powder on rims and tyres worked a treat!)
Better get practising my soldering skills now!
Martin20

Just an update if it's of interest to anyone. Condenser arrived through post this lunchtime, so I bit the bullet and decided to try and solder in without taking stator off. Very pleased to say that after much fiddling about trying to hold wires in place whilst also holding solder and soldering iron, I managed it! Put flywheel back on, gave it's kick and she sparked into life! All soldered connections felt firm so I am keeping my fingers crossed. Hopefully can get a bit of riding in now! 😀
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information