5 speed Jumping.

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
10 inch Terror
Xbox live gamer tag: No.
Playstation gamer tag: PLEASE!
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Imola 185

Hi all,
I've a slight issue with my Cyclone 5 speed jumping out of gear in 5th. I have to hold the gear change in position or it'll jump out of gear into a false neutral. It was put together a while ago by a dealer and it's not had a lot of use after it stripped a tooth early on. Anyway it was replaced and rebuilt and I've just started using it again and I've noticed this problem. The cables seem fine and are not too tight and the selector arm is 5 or 6mm clear of the casing when in 5th. Any ideas please fellas? Thanks in advance Pete.
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

Mine jumped into 4th and I cured it by accident by fitting a large MB gear wheel...
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Pressure put on both inner and outer cable where the clutch cable comes through the handlebar/headset gap (coming into headset and over rod)? I'd noticed the bit in Sticky's manual about Dean Orton doing this during restoration work but didn't see much point in it... until I ran into horrible gear selection issues and someone said that this was not uncommon and could be resolved by dremelling the inside of the headset. I inspected and could see why this might help, allowing more rotation and less resistance, and the gear selection became instantly better.

Certainly worth a look.

BTW I didn't experience this when running a different motor in this same bike so it was obviously a combination of what was going on inside the headset and in the engine.

Good luck.

Adam
a.lo.v2
Main scooter: sx 200

could possibly be the wishbone and/or pawls bottoming out on the casing. can be a problem with a normal box but more critical with cyclone. might need a shim between layshaft and hub bearing.
Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

10 inch Terror
Xbox live gamer tag: No.
Playstation gamer tag: PLEASE!
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Imola 185

Cheers Fellas,
I think I'll go down the wishbone route. I've got a feeling it's that.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information