Standard Li150 Special Pacemaker Performance

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Lamaddict

Over the years I've moved slowly back to standard scoots when practical. My TV175 S3 with the only addition of an electronic kit, clocked 62MPH GPS on the flat. I've just got an untouched barn find Silver Special and was wondering about its real performance in today's traffic and runs, is the top speed good? I would put on a electronic kit and might try and change a few small things if it's worth it.
Chris in Margate
Main scooter: Lambretta 1964 225 Special

Mine was 55 mph before I did "things" to it.
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

as chris 55ish then put 175 kit a good 60ish then total change rb200 70 to 80ish
Lamaddict

Chris in Margate wrote:Mine was 55 mph before I did "things" to it.
What like? I would put an electronic kit on, set the squish and put on a 20mm carb.
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

I always worked on the basis that if I couldn't see any "alterations" then it was acceptable- big carbs on the wrong side and exhausts weren't "my thing"

So an electronic kit; a 20mm carb and possibly a Clubman would be it IMO. Say 58/60 top whack?

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
Lamaddict

Same with me Chris, I've found that Clubman's on TV175's slow them down somehow and standard exhausts on an original GP200 goes very well.

I think we can miss a trick with having potentially decent scoots like TV's, Specials, GP's and just having small tweaks can make them perform better than expected, instead of jumping for a kit asap. I appreciate you can't do great things with 125's etc.
Chris in Margate
Main scooter: Lambretta 1964 225 Special

Chris in Margate wrote:Mine was 55 mph before I did "things" to it.

Organ transplants !
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

"I've found that Clubman's on TV175's slow them down somehow and standard exhausts on an original GP200 goes very well.", this was mirrored by trying a clubman on a mate's standard Jet200, which then failed to pull 4th gear correctly and became slower. Changing to a shorter gear set was what it hen needed to reach the higher revs, however, it was deemed to be too much change/work for little benefit so the standard GP spec pipe went back on and performance returned/improved to where it had been before introducing the clubman into the mix.

Adam
scooterslag

Yep I think a standard engined Lambretta with a few upgrades can still perform pretty respectably on modern roads, a good pacemaker/SX/GP150 can still motor on and providing you're not planning any mad motorway action - can still deliver. As for the standard V's clubman thing, yeah I liked the clubman on my scoot, it let the engine rev on a bit more but I prefer the ride given when I popped a standard pipe back on. Far more smoother power and tractability
The mack daddy on the left!
Martin20
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 150 Special

Following this thread with interest as I have a recently acquired LI150 Special which came with a 20 mm carb, jetted for an SX150!! As I wanted to keep to original spec as closely as possible, I have swapped for an 18mm carb, correctly jetted for a Special. After reading some of the above comments, it would seem that I could achieve slightly better performance by running the 20 mm carb! If this is so, why would Innocenti only have put 18mm' s on the Specials? Would love to hear if anyone has experienced improved performance running a 20mm, and if so, how was it jetted!
Running a standard series 3 exhaust by the way.
Sorry Lamaddict, not wanting to hi-jack your thread, but seemed a bit daft starting a new one on same/similar topic.
N.B. Still running scoot in after piston/ring change, so not really able to just swap carbs and thrash it to see which performs best at the moment!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information