Best Drum Brake Shoes ?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Trackten
Main scooter: Vespa PX

Hi Guys

I am looking to improve the front drum brake on my GP ( Italian DL 125 ) and while I am in there I thought I would change the shoes for some new ones.

Are all of the currently available ones about the same, or in your experience is any one brand better than the others ?
gaz_powell

I've been using Makino and found them pretty good.
Tractorman
Main scooter: Lambretta li150 special

Scootopia ones are also good.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

gaz_powell wrote:I've been using Makino and found them pretty good.
I use Makino and I find them to work well
tavspeed

anybody using the newfren racing compound or makino racing compound,thinking of trying a reverse pull set up with new shoes etc,main issue I have with my current set up is brake fade
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

tavspeed wrote:anybody using the newfren racing compound or makino racing compound,thinking of trying a reverse pull set up with new shoes etc,main issue I have with my current set up is brake fade
I tried reverse pull on my front drum and it made a massive difference to breaking power. I'm not over using the word 'massive' here; the difference was amazing.

So amazing that the suspension couldn't cope. I was nervous every time I used the front brake and bad to steady the bike on the rear brake before applying it. Basically I think lambretta suspension is way too soft for decent front brake with that trailing arm arrangement. My forks have uprated springs in them. This is probably why antidive is so popular when using discs.

In the end I gave up and changed them back to standard and try to anticipate my braking better.

Or get a honda :D
gaz_powell

I have found the makino to wear down quick but they are cheap and work!! Will try the new "race"compound next.
dave411
Main scooter: Li 125

There you are then.Take your pick.Typical forum answer.Makino seem to be the answer......or are they?????
joespeed

why not upgrade to a disc ,end of problem,reverse pull on a drum brake is not a good idea,it never was but worked by strangling the cable under dive conditions ok till cable snaps!
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

No problems with Scootopia ones but Newfren definitely better.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information