Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
156 D

Last edited by 156 D on Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nostalgia is a thing of the past!....
camel

it would be fab if we could just keep lowering the gear ratio and our bikes get faster and faster but as we all know revvy kits wont get into the powerband with this sort of ratio...or will they?
ive wondered about this myself,Stuart Owens rb demonstrator as featured in scootering a year or so ago claimed to use a tv 200 gearbox....wot is it 4.6 or something?.....was this correct?ive not heard any of the guys using this ratio on rb,s elsewhere,or ts,s for that matter
156 D

Last edited by 156 D on Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nostalgia is a thing of the past!....
100mphlambrettaclub
Dealer

Thats correct i used a TV 200 box when first testing the RB for AF a little bet i had with Ray at the time. If driven like a sprint bike it would pull okay in fourth but if just going through the gears riding normaly it sometimes struggled. I used tv 200 15/46 in the sprint bike and it pulled every gear like a train but that bike would pull anything. When doing the speed record attempts i worked on the basis that the tv 200 box with 17/46 spockets would acheive over 115 mph if i could hit 9000+ rpm . After several attempts it did but had to be driven like crazy in every gear to get enough speed to pull in fourth the ratio being 3.93 . It was mad i wasnt changing in to fourth till around 100 mph . The top run did pull 10,000 which was 121 mph though it did do that speed i have never claimed it because the print out failed on the computer just my luck so i had to settle for the next best which was 117.3 mph which was official . As far as im concerned The tv 200 box is just a little to tall in fourth and i think that any road going engine however powerful which struggle at one point or another ,if your going sprinting though thats another story.
davidblythe

You didnt half push the price of TV200 gearboxes through the roof last year when the story got out about the RB and TV200 gearbox
100mphlambrettaclub
Dealer

I know it was a bit of a nightmare i only used it for a short while, it was put in the article and people blamed me as the price rocketed though i never promoted the fact that people should use one. Im thinking of putting an sx/gp 150 gear box in next ,the worst thing ever to come out of the lambretta factory . I have about a million of them in the shed worth about 50p each maybe i can push the price of them up a bit to.
sean brady scooters
Dealer

yes please stu..............go for it please.......
i too have loads of those .................
i,ll even give you commision on sales mate......................... :lol:
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
camel

i thort it was blinkin tall!!!! :lol:
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

I had one of the very early TV200's (August 1963- frame number 5241**). This had problems pulling 4th until I replaced the centre squish head with one from the SX200. This made the engine much more "user friendly" and would allow a lot better performance in 4th.

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
sean brady scooters
Dealer

its true that to make a very torquey motor..........you will need ,more than anything a very wide exhaust port.............
this should be made within the capabilites of the piston and rings used............
unfortunatly the tv200 surpassed these limits...........making the ex port far too wide ........................the piston/rings just could not cope for long...........hence the term for these..........."ring breakers"...............
if only they could have gone for better pistons with thinner rings.....................which were at that time not available of course...............
but now they are...........
but even now ,using 1mm rings ..........a 46mm wide ex port for a 66mm bore road scoot is regarded as possibly quite extreme at 70%
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information