Engine Nip!

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
dirtyhandslopez

Coasting and clutching is a lot easier on the body than stopping and kicking ;)
That's not going anywhere...
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

Especially when seized

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
soosh
Main scooter: GP RS200 Iron barrel

drunkmunkey6969 wrote:
bristolmod wrote:I run in "short and hard"- on 4% semi synth.

Loads of short journey (3 miles max), using all the gears and giving it some "welly". Back home- let it cool and repeat. Up and down the box- don't be afraid to rev it. Don't leave it in one gear for too long, and don't let it labour on hills.

Works for me

Chris
Good advice. Lots of heat cycles, lots of short journeys, varying rev range, don't labour the engine.

k
That's the way Dave Webster used to recommend. I've always run in my iron setups that way too. Always been spot on.
LI150
Main scooter: Series 2 LI150

Martin20 wrote:Evening all,
Running in my LIS150, after new piston and rings. Done around 60 miles, so far, nice and steady with no problems. Been out tonight and tackled a few longish hills which I guess put a little too much strain on the engine as it nipped up! I pulled in clutch, coasted for a 100 yards or so, let clutch out whilst in second gear and she started and got me the 4 miles or so home without further issues!
Question is, will I have done any damage, or can I just continue to 'run in' for another 100 miles or so?
All,advice/comments, appreciated.
Cheers
Martin
Correct me if I am wrong but you have not had a rebore just new piston and rings. Are you sure the problem is running it in and not something else, air leak, jetting, different size piston to the last effecting piston to barrel clearance.
Martin20
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 150 Special

LI150 wrote:
Martin20 wrote:Evening all,
Running in my LIS150, after new piston and rings. Done around 60 miles, so far, nice and steady with no problems. Been out tonight and tackled a few longish hills which I guess put a little too much strain on the engine as it nipped up! I pulled in clutch, coasted for a 100 yards or so, let clutch out whilst in second gear and she started and got me the 4 miles or so home without further issues!
Question is, will I have done any damage, or can I just continue to 'run in' for another 100 miles or so?
All,advice/comments, appreciated.
Cheers
Martin
Correct me if I am wrong but you have not had a rebore just new piston and rings. Are you sure the problem is running it in and not something else, air leak, jetting, different size piston to the last effecting piston to barrel clearance.
Martin20
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 150 Special

Bugger! Just spent 10 mins replying to LI 150's question then previewed it and it disappeared!

You are correct LI 150, no rebore, just new piston and rings. Problem could have been caused by the other issues you mention as I am having big trouble starting, especially when engine is warm. Read ,and tried, just about everything that has been suggested, but to no avail. Seriously considering taking it in for a more experienced mechanic to sort!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information