bgm stater v4

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

my brother inlaw and myself rode home from ripon on saterday his scoot running great whent to start it yesterday and nothing cut a long check everything story i ended up with new ducati coil it started then stalled i then fit a v2 bgm stater and fired up 1st kick strobed it to 16 and its running great again how can one minute the stater is working and then nothing its only done 900 miles so v4 bgm still have problems
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

hi garry did you check the alignment of the pickup? i helped a friend fit his last week and it needed a packer under the pick up, actually 2, that was with an indian flywheel. i painted 2 white lines on the side of the pick up then looked through the window in the flywheel to see how they lined up with the fingers inside the flywheel.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

^... this is a feature, rather than an issue, as Scooter Center have done many people a favour.

For at least a couple of generations/versions of the BGM stator, the pickup has been supplied intentionally low. By doing this, the later versions can be used as a direct replacement stator for the early AF electronic flywheels (Ducati), and possibly others, without needing modification. Unfortunately, if you still run an early AF flywheel (many still do) then you cannot simply fit a SIL (or aftermarket Indian) stator without cutting laminates off from under the pickup and this is not a 5 minute job, nor can it be done with typical 'roadside' tools. However, if the stator has been modified from new, as per the BGM stators, then it is very simple to unscrew the pickup retaining screw and jack up the pickup with the extra plates provided in the BGM box, along with instructions telling you how, why and when to do this. At least this used to be the case with new BGM boxed stators and I'm assuming that to still be the case.

However, regardless of additional spacer plates being provided and comprehensive instructions, I've had to help out a number of people that have not followed the instructions and simply fitted a new BGM stator with an Indian flywheel and found that the stator doesn't work. Sometimes they partially work, sometimes they work with a misfire, sometimes they will not even spark, however, in every instance where there has been such a height alignment issue, lifting the pickup with the plates provided has resolved the issue. I've even cured this on a mate's Jet 200, when he had binned the plates in the box (!), by putting 3 x same thickness washers under the stator bolt flanges to lift the whole plate, changing from no spark to perfect running.

Checking as Holty describes is a very good way of investigating this and determining how many of the plates should be used to correct alignment.

Please don't think that the above statement is intended to relate specifically to this thread, rather it is meant to inform some readers who might themselves be having issues with BGM stators. It may be that it relates to the BGM V2 vs BGM V4 issue above but may also be unrelated in this case.

Best of luck resolving the issues.

Adam
coaster

Adam_Winstone wrote:^... this is a feature, rather than an issue, as Scooter Center have done many people a favour.

For at least a couple of generations/versions of the BGM stator, the pickup has been supplied intentionally low. By doing this, the later versions can be used as a direct replacement stator for the early AF electronic flywheels (Ducati), and possibly others, without needing modification. Unfortunately, if you still run an early AF flywheel (many still do) then you cannot simply fit a SIL (or aftermarket Indian) stator without cutting laminates off from under the pickup and this is not a 5 minute job, nor can it be done with typical 'roadside' tools. However, if the stator has been modified from new, as per the BGM stators, then it is very simple to unscrew the pickup retaining screw and jack up the pickup with the extra plates provided in the BGM box, along with instructions telling you how, why and when to do this. At least this used to be the case with new BGM boxed stators and I'm assuming that to still be the case.

However, regardless of additional spacer plates being provided and comprehensive instructions, I've had to help out a number of people that have not followed the instructions and simply fitted a new BGM stator with an Indian flywheel and found that the stator doesn't work. Sometimes they partially work, sometimes they work with a misfire, sometimes they will not even spark, however, in every instance where there has been such a height alignment issue, lifting the pickup with the plates provided has resolved the issue. I've even cured this on a mate's Jet 200, when he had binned the plates in the box (!), by putting 3 x same thickness washers under the stator bolt flanges to lift the whole plate, changing from no spark to perfect running.

Checking as Holty describes is a very good way of investigating this and determining how many of the plates should be used to correct alignment.

I will check tomorrow Adam but although the BGM stator I have just fitted (purchased about a year ago) did have 2 packers in the box I don't recall seeing any 'comprehensive instructions. I still have the box with the crimps and packers in it.

Please don't think that the above statement is intended to relate specifically to this thread, rather it is meant to inform some readers who might themselves be having issues with BGM stators. It may be that it relates to the BGM V2 vs BGM V4 issue above but may also be unrelated in this case.

Best of luck resolving the issues.

Adam
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

I just fit a new v4 stator and works great I have also tested the broken one and checked with a multimeter and it all checked out apart from a loose earth tab fixed that and have a good spare now

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information