Clutch dragging or slipping on monza

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Bensmith225
Main scooter: Lambretta gp monza 225

I've put a 5 plate clutch in my monza as the standard 4 plate with heavy springs kept slipping. My problem is that my clutch now either drags or it slips and no matter how much I've to adjust it I can't seem to find a sweet spot. I've machined the tabs to give clearance for the extra plates the next thing I wanna try is a thinner top steel but any other suggestions would be really helpful. I can't really afford a cassette at the moment and it's my daily ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10 inch Terror
Xbox live gamer tag: No.
Playstation gamer tag: PLEASE!
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Imola 185

Did you check the plate separation when it's fully compressed? From memory there should be a minimum of 1.5mm of separation. Also which 5 plate kit is it? Some are more trouble than they're worth.
Bensmith225

I can't actually remember which kit it was I bought it a long while before fitting. Which kits are better? There is clearance when compressed it seems more to me like there isn't enough travel on the plunger as I can stop the drag when tightening the clutch cable but then it starts slipping when it hits the power band, I was thinking maybe if I put a thinner plate in there it would give it a bit more clearance on separation meaning the amount of travel wouldn't be an issue, if it's a case of replacing the whole lot I will do

10 inch Terror
Xbox live gamer tag: No.
Playstation gamer tag: PLEASE!
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Imola 185

Try a thinner top plate or even thinner steels if you have any. Also some five plate kits ( especially ones of Indian origins ) sit too tall and can rub on the kickstart shaft. Have you checked there is clearance there? As for good quality affordable 5 plate kits you can't go wrong with Readspeed kit. I've fitted a few now and they are excellent.
Bensmith225

I made sure it wasn't rubbing anywhere before I bolted everything up, I'll try some thinner steels and top plate to see if that's solves it, and if all else fails buy the readspeed one. cheers for the help

holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

just watch out if your fitting a thinner top plate, the top friction plate can escape the ears on the basket and spin, bending them down can fix this, but can distort the plate and cause drag, what springs are you using, mb and reedspeed springs seem to give more grip plus allow seperation, check your cam inside the clutch arm for wear, plus bush if its gp, make sure your outer arm is in the correct position as well.
coaster

All good advice so far, you can play with the thickness of the steels AND friction plates if you have to. I use a cheap Lidl digital vernier to measure them. 1.5mm is the MINIMUM separation but also don't go over 2mm.
GTFOMWSC
Main scooter: GP230 Super Monza CS Tuned

I also had this issue with a clutch in my cutdown and got both drag and slip only occurred after I changed the plates.Turned out somehow the basket had got slightly damaged when being reassembled.I was careful when I rebuilt it so didn't damage it obviously but nethertheless it did get very slightly bent, this caused all the issues.Check that your basket is true mine was noticed by someone else who sorted it out for me as I couldn't see it.My basket was indian maybe that was the reason I'm not sure clutch did work fine until plates wore out but replacement was italian, could be a whole lot cheaper than trying different plate set ups.
the man don't give a f@@k
Bensmith225

I think This is the kit I bought. I suppose I could have over tightened the clutch compressor a bent the clutch basket in a bit if I wasn't paying enough attention . I might just buy a replacement to be sure

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311725692968
Bensmith225

Right I've tried 1mm steel plates in it with a new internal lever a new plunger and heavy duty springs. It doesn't slip as bad as it used to but it's still slipping, the clutch bell looks ok to me as does the spider but I still can't work out what the issue is. I even put a brand new 4 plate back in and it was even worse. Would a longer spider make any difference?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information