Clutch dragging or slipping on monza

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

a longer spider will not stop clutch slip, more plates will help, or stronger springs, which springs did you use ?
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

A worn out front sprocket sliding dog can replicate the feeling of clutch slip.
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

Those plates are crap,buy the Readspeed 5 plate kit £39 and check your front sprocket, spring and ramps.
Bensmith225
Main scooter: Lambretta gp monza 225

I've got malossi springs in it The front sprocket and sliding dog are fine. The issue seems to be the fact that I can't compress it enough. I have to wind it up tight to get them to separate when I operate the clutch but this is obviously causing the clutch to be partially disengaged when ridding which is causing the slip. The only thing I haven't changed is the spider. My thinking being that if it moves the centre of the clutch bell closer to the plunger it might give me more travel and also give more clearance to the plates so I wouldn't need to compress it so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bazza3004

Prob not the cause of your prob but worth a punt. I messed about with clutches for months on my old imola as it either slipped or dragged. Turned out to be the outer cable plastic coating had come off over about a 4-6 inch length and can only assume this allowed the outer to flex as once id fitted a new one the clutch was fine.
soulsurfer

What plate separation do you have when fully compressed, you need to aim for 1.5-2mm?

Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
Bensmith225
Main scooter: Lambretta gp monza 225

I've got 2 mm when fully compressed

Padge
Main scooter: 1969 Lambretta gp

what sprockets are you running, my Imola with just over 22bhp slipped like mad, put a readspeed 5 plate in and it only just gripped, slipped with fast gear changes etc, changed my gearbox to a GP box with 18/46 and clutch has a much easier life (and grips like a chimp to its mothers tit)
I have the same readspeed clutch and GP box (19/46) in my 230 ts1 and that's 28bhp and don't have the slightest issue with the clutch
If I were you I would cut my losses with that clutch and buy a 5 plate readspeed (as wack has suggested) all the ones I have done have been fit and forget
another thing to check is the kickstart isn't rubbing on the top plate
also if you have a slightly deeper pressure plate they can be too tall and even with the clutch plunger in the rest position its still putting pressure on the plate
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information