carb choice for ts1 & comp ratio's

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
paul213

thinking of a new engine.
my mugelo 225 is 11 years old and now there is a left hand manifold available I don't need to chop off the battery tray and have a ts1 kit .
but which carb only want up to 30mm ish not as far as 35mm and want to run a filter
as I see it choices are
30mm phbh
30mm vhsh
30mm pwk genuine or has anyone tried the polini copy available from sip ?
27mm tmx

also what is considered a good comp ratio both geo & corrected for road / rally use

thanks Paul
Padge
Main scooter: 1969 Lambretta gp

pwk 28/30 for maximum panel clearance or TMX 30, both as good as owt else out there
PHBH run crap low down
VHSH good carb but not cheap
Knowledge
Dealer
Main scooter: GP

Interestingly, my mate was after a carb to run with the an LTH LHS manifold and asked JB to set it up, expecting a 28mm to be fitted (he was after good fuel consumption and air flow through a modified air box). John recommended a 30mm PHBH and he struggled to set up any 28mm PHBH. Same body, but different results.

The scooter makes less power than it did with the VHSB, but the owners says it is VERY rideable and seems to be achieving the low fuel consumption he requires in his role as our club's international scooterist.
Martin
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

PHBH30mm....great carb, hugely underrated.

28mm can be a tw@7 to setup. Don't know why, they are just more fenickity and take finer tuning. 30mm accepts 'broader' parameters.

PWK are s**t (in my opinion).

TMX are good on WOT for max power. The 35mm is s**t on mid range due to a fixed atomiser, smaller bore sizes (30mm etc) have changeable atomisers and work better in that respect.

30mm VHSH is expensive, but nice. In terms of simplicity and bang for buck though.....I'd choose the PHBH every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information