Pics of the SSC/Morris clutch??

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Raffspeed

Hiya,
I am just wondering if anyone has one of these clutches handy and could take a few pics of it for me?? I want to see how the crank actually attaches and as well how the whole thing is put together and what mods have been made to the individual parts??
coaster

Crank :?
theageofindustry
Dealer
Main scooter: 74 Vijai Super

coaster wrote:Crank :?
Yeah no clue there. I did this write up a long time ago and keep it up for people to reference:

http://pistonported.weebly.com/sscmorri ... cover.html

What I have found with these is that they are hit or miss. Due to different tolerances between Indian, Italian and Spanish layshafts, the crown wheel splines need to be filed to get the crown to go all the way onto the gear cluster. The last one I fit had the crownwheel bush too tight and it seized up onto the pressure plate after 100 miles.

My opinion is they are just too inconsistent and not worth the risk. When they work, they are fab but I have 3 here that are not fit for use.
10 inch Terror
Xbox live gamer tag: No.
Playstation gamer tag: PLEASE!
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Imola 185

100% agree, not worth the effort. The Readspeed 5 plate kits knock spots off them and at only £50. Don't bother would be my advice.
coaster

theageofindustry wrote:
coaster wrote:Crank :?
Yeah no clue there. I did this write up a long time ago and keep it up for people to reference:

http://pistonported.weebly.com/sscmorri ... cover.html

What I have found with these is that they are hit or miss. Due to different tolerances between Indian, Italian and Spanish layshafts, the crown wheel splines need to be filed to get the crown to go all the way onto the gear cluster. The last one I fit had the crownwheel bush too tight and it seized up onto the pressure plate after 100 miles.

My opinion is they are just too inconsistent and not worth the risk. When they work, they are fab but I have 3 here that are not fit for use.
You wouldn't have a spare steel plate in your collection of bits would you? I bought mine 2nd hand and one of the plates is 'dished' so it slips badly. It's a shame because otherwise it is the smoothest and lightest clutch I have experienced. I replaced it with an AF road clutch which doesn't slip but is VERY grabby pulling away.

Re the Rayspeed budget 5 plate, I have one in my Avanti but these need VERY careful setting up to get the separation spot on otherwise they drag or slip. Be prepared to buy a selection of thinner steels. Mine still drags a little so I have to get it in neutral before coming to a stop.
10 inch Terror

coaster wrote:
Re the Rayspeed budget 5 plate, I have one in my Avanti but these need VERY careful setting up to get the separation spot on otherwise they drag or slip. Be prepared to buy a selection of thinner steels. Mine still drags a little so I have to get it in neutral before coming to a stop.
I said Readspeed clutch. I've fitted a couple now and they were a straight fit with no fettling. Are the AF ones the same or did you just mistype it?
coaster

10 inch Terror wrote:
coaster wrote:
I said Readspeed clutch. I've fitted a couple now and they were a straight fit with no fettling. Are the AF ones the same or did you just mistype it?
Sorry, yes I meant Reedspeed, I also had trouble with the top friction plate 'ears' not engaging in the basket even when bent down. Must depend on the mix of parts used I guess.
10 inch Terror

Strange that. I really rate them. Maybe I've just been lucky then.
theageofindustry
Dealer
Main scooter: 74 Vijai Super

coaster wrote: You wouldn't have a spare steel plate in your collection of bits would you? I bought mine 2nd hand and one of the plates is 'dished' so it slips badly.
Oh yeah, I've got plates, corks, springs, you name it. Shoot me a meassage and I'll set you up no sweat.

I should say I have 2 of these fitted and when they work they are fab. It's just that put of the 5 I bought, only 2 were usable. I had intended to stock them but instead I made 2 good ones for myself and threw the rest into a box. I'll have spares for the rest of my life I guess.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

^.... Hmmmm, that's not good and doesn't instil too much confidence for the one that I have sitting on the shelf and hope to fit to a motor soon.

Adam
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information